Is this normal?

PH0E

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2018
West Michigan
So, we switched feed from a mixture that saves money to the more expensive purina egg layer feed and I have noticed a huge increase in waste. With the old mixture if food hit the ground, they would eat it. With this new mixture there is so much feed all over the ground, I can not even see the ground. Now these girls seem to eat just about anything. Is it possible they just don't like what we switched them to? We don't give them scraps at this time except some meal worms and crickets. But this is extremely excessive...I think.

So, we switched feed from a mixture that saves money to the more expensive purina egg layer feed and I have noticed a huge increase in waste. With the old mixture if food hit the ground, they would eat it. With this new mixture there is so much feed all over the ground, I can not even see the ground. Now these girls seem to eat just about anything. Is it possible they just don't like what we switched them to? We don't give them scraps at this time except some meal worms and crickets. But this is extremely excessive...I think.
could be that they don't like it or they just aren't used to it

Poultry sometimes do not handle changes in feed well - they hate change. It is best to add increasing proportions of new to old until only new is being fed. I would stop ad lib feeding for a while and only feed what they clean up in two 20 minute feeding periods until they adjust to the new feed.

Back
Top Bottom