Is this normal?

Welcome to BYC.

Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens. :) As long as they have free access to shelter and can choose to go in or stay out they will be fine.

But if weather can get into your coop you'll need to figure out a way to keep it dry. Post photos and we might be able to help.
Sometimes... did I mention mine have an insatiable appetite for painted wood? >.<;;; Their second favorite hobby is pecking chips off the side of their coop and eating them. My husband had painted their coop all nice with new paint, and now there's peck holes in it and I had to cover any area they can reach with random boards and stuff. It looks a little janky now :(

Sometimes... did I mention mine have an insatiable appetite for painted wood? >.<;;; Their second favorite hobby is pecking chips off the side of their coop and eating them. My husband had painted their coop all nice with new paint, and now there's peck holes in it and I had to cover any area they can reach with random boards and stuff. It looks a little janky now :(
Is THAT normal? 🤣 I figured I just ended up with a bunch of paint-eaters. It happens. I remember kindergarten.

Is THAT normal? 🤣 I figured I just ended up with a bunch of paint-eaters. It happens. I remember kindergarten.
Posted this on another thread: Mine eat paint too. I wrapped light bird netting around the bottom couple feet of the coop (it hooks onto screws at the corners) and that's mostly stopped it, but any area not covered, like the human door, gets paint pecked.

Mine like to try to eat the paint around the doorway, but their favorite "food" is Styrofoam!
Yes some styrofoam from neighbor blew over. Yah the little white balls they think it is food.
Got rid of it of course.
also need to be careful with fertilizer

My chickens in a downpour go for cover otherwise they cruise around in the rain, even the silkies.

Back
Top Bottom