Is This Normal?

Neil1366

Pork-cupine
Aug 7, 2022
South Central PA
I have a lot of things to cover on here so listen up. Things may start getting complicated.

My six-year-old chicken Grandma has this "tradition" in which every time she loses her feathers, she starts getting scared of herself and starts running extremely fast like Usain Bolt (I'm sorry. I just like saying that okay?) each time I approach her. She is usually slow. She is always being stubborn especially when we take her to the front yard, she refuses to come back to the coop and stalling so that it's impossible to let her return back. How so?

Before we continue with this "being scared of herself" business, what is even more concerning is that remember that one photo I sent in for the molting chickens contest way back in August when I was only a member here for about a week? Well, the molting is back again. I don't know why her molting is so frequent. It happens every month. Her molting in August only happened for about 4 weeks until she returned to her fully feathered self.

She won't eat. That is also another thing that concerns me. I think it's because she feels bad for herself and how she looks, she probably doesn't want to eat because she thinks it'll make her even worse. So while the other three chickens are eating, she is like " I'm not hungry" and walks away and hides in a corner without a care in the world.

I think I really did it this time with that chicken rattle. If you don't know what I mean, read this thread: backyardchickens.com/threads/a-random-thing-i-got-for-my-chickens.1549645/

Shout out to @Duckpip, @Pampered chicken girl and @Chicks In VA for being good friends. You're real ones and I respect you (and everyone else too). Although 59th & 57th place don't sound like good places to be in, you still did a good job. Being in 3rd place is what you deserve @Chicks In VA. Well done all three of you. You are all winners in my eyes.

Last edited:
Shout out to @Duckpip, @Pampered chicken girl and @Chicks In VA for being good friends. You're real ones and I respect you (and everyone else too). Although 59th & 57th place don't sound like good places to be in, you still did a good job. Being in 3rd place is what you deserve @Chicks In VA. Well done all three of you. You are all winners in my eyes.
i dont know bout the other stuff but thank you so much
let me dee if I can get s friend of mine to help

I don't know what would cause a bird to molt once a month. Normal molting is usually once, occasionally twice a year.(Sometimes I have birds molt in the summer)

Sometimes molting is painful, especially a hard heavy molt, so sometimes they can act crazy, or are too sore to eat alot, or normally.

Hens not wanting to eat their usual diet when they are moulting is not at all uncommon. See the poll below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...off-their-usual-feed-when-they-moult.1498056/

It is also quite common for hens who are moulting not wanting to be touched by humans or other chickens. The new pin feathers are delicate but as you can imagine, when they are very short and pressure is applied it's like having a pin stuck into them.

So, moulting hens often become extremely antisocial and this is what I think you are seeing.
Give her some fish if you keep your hens confined. Mackerel (tinned but drained) gives a high protein boost and provide vitamins and oils which will all help with feather growth.

Moulting can hurt.

My chickens tend to moult after they’ve been broody, which if she is gets broody a lot could be the problem. The other thing could be stress. Stress can also cause chickens to loss feathers and start moulting. You should check your coop for mites or other parasites since those can also cause feather loss.

So, moulting hens often become extremely antisocial and this is what I think you are seeing.
Give her some fish if you keep your hens confined. Mackerel (tinned but drained) gives a high protein boost and provide vitamins and oils which will all help with feather growth.
I haven't thought about it that way. I didn't know chickens were interested in fish. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a lot of things to cover on here so listen up. Things may start getting complicated.

My six-year-old chicken Grandma has this "tradition" in which every time she loses her feathers, she starts getting scared of herself and starts running extremely fast like Usain Bolt (I'm sorry. I just like saying that okay?) each time I approach her. She is usually slow. She is always being stubborn especially when we take her to the front yard, she refuses to come back to the coop and stalling so that it's impossible to let her return back. How so?

Before we continue with this "being scared of herself" business, what is even more concerning is that remember that one photo I sent in for the molting chickens contest way back in August when I was only a member here for about a week? Well, the molting is back again. I don't know why her molting is so frequent. It happens every month. Her molting in August only happened for about 4 weeks until she returned to her fully feathered self.

She won't eat. That is also another thing that concerns me. I think it's because she feels bad for herself and how she looks, she probably doesn't want to eat because she thinks it'll make her even worse. So while the other three chickens are eating, she is like " I'm not hungry" and walks away and hides in a corner without a care in the world.

I think I really did it this time with that chicken rattle. If you don't know what I mean, read this thread: backyardchickens.com/threads/a-random-thing-i-got-for-my-chickens.1549645/
I agree with the others, molting is very uncomfortable or painful for them.
Thanks!!

Thank you! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom