Is this Normal?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
This is SweetCheeks, about the cutest little Cochin baby EVER. it has a huge beard that i constantly have to scoot away from its eyes (i think my Sizzle roo is the daddy) so i am wondering if that could eventually cause any issues, i am sure it'll grow into it but right now it does get into its eyes and sometimes the "whiskers" look wet from its eyes.

but my question is about it's behaviour in the brooder. It "Sunbathes"..? I am not sure how it got into the position when i first saw it but everytime i lay it back down the same way it will just stay forever. I am a little worried it'll get overheated or something, but mainly i am just wondering if it's normal.... Here's a pic...
106_0485.JPG

106_0486.JPG

and a different time i caught it "sunbathing"..
106_0484.JPG

See how the others are huddled up at the base of where the light is? he's right under the really warm spot and that's why i am worried about him getting too hot.

Its normal for chicks to sleep on their backs somtimes, but that looks bad. He should be with the others. What your chick is doing does not look normal
sad.png

When mine hatched last week, #3 did this. She went off on her own, which I thought was odd, but she was the youngest, so I thought that maybe she just needed to stop for a break. I kept an eye on her and she flipped over like this. She seemed to just be soaking in the rays, but then started kicking her feet and sort of flapping...not distressed, just a little movement. I thought she might be stuck...unable to right herself, so I gently touched her to scoot her onto her side a little more. She went completely limp and stopped breathing. That was it. I couldn't believe I sat there and watched her die, but none of it seemed stressful and never did she seem in pain. Definitely keep an eye on that one!

When she is not sunbathing does she run around and eat and poop normal, If so I would not worry. Just as long as she seems healthy and happy. You do not know how many time I would check up on my chicks and see one totally limp. I thought they were dead then they would pop up a run around.

It's completely normal otherwise. A lot of times it'll be in the 'piggy pile' with the others or just running around, eating, drinking, and the poo is normal. it is the youngest though.

it doesn't flail much, just when she needs to get back on her feet and usually has no problem with that.

it only does this once in a while or when i am holding it, maybe it just really relaxes it? I am definitely still keeping an eye on it though. They freak me out when they get all stretched out under the light, i have gotten used to the bigger ones doing it but my mother still has to shriek & poke them everytime...she hasn't been over yet to see this one on its back though!

thank you guys and i will keep an eye on her. do you think i should seperate her?
I moved the ducklings back down to their brooder, someone was supposed to pick em up but flaked, so shes just with chicks now.

Back
Top Bottom