is this normal...

Erock1234

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
I'm kinda new to all this and have been watching my flock and am a bit curious about a few things. I finally separated the roosters from the hens and see some interesting thingts. My roo when certain hens go to eat from the food dish, he'll get in it as to say no food for you, is there anything i can do to discourage this? Also one of my chicks is into eating fresh eggs, how can I stop this?? Thank you ahead of time for any help
bun.gif

You should have two food bowls. I learned this the hard way. The alpha hen in my case was blocking the food and water so no one could get it and would chase any of them away. I now have one food in the run and one in the house.

Sorry, don't know about the eating the eggs. Try putting in a few fake ones or golf balls. When she tries to eat it she will see it's impossible and then get discouraged that she can't and might stop. Just a guess.

Egg eaters are difficult if not impossible to cure. I would get rid of her before she teaches your other hens to eat eggs.

For egg eaters - put a lot of golf balls in the nest, since they can't crack them open, it should discourage them.

Collect eggs really frequently.

If the first 2 don't work and you don't want to rehome the hen, design a roll-out nest box for the chickens. The eggs will roll into a protected area as soon as they are laid and the chickens won't be able to get them.

thank you all, I have put golf balls in and added grit, i read the other thread but i can't for the life of me figure out what boss is but I'm sure i'll figure it out, none ate today so one day down and we'll see. again thank you all!!

BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. You can toss these to your girls in the shell. The theory, I believe, is that perhaps the Omega whatevers in the BOSS may keep them from looking for it in the eggs.

Its not impossible. Go ahead and make a little hole in an egg, draiin out everything and fill it with mustard. When they go to eat it they wil get a lovely surprise!!!

ahh so that's what they meant ty
smile.png
if the golf ball don't work I'll try the seeds and oh what a great idea shuizar!!!! lol if I do that I'll do it when i don't have to work so i can see who the culprit is hehe that would be so great!! Thanks everyone Oh and Pheonix I added another food bowl as well so far so good thank you!

Back
Top Bottom