Is this normal.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so my 18 week old BO was dust bathing today with all the others but she was doing something different. While she was dust bathing she was also creating what looked like a dirt nest too. She finished bathing and all but was using her beak to move the dirt closer to her like a nest. Is this normal for them to do? Heres a pic of her doing it i dont know if you can see my phone doesn't take the best pics. She is the far right one next the roo.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, completely normal. [​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Wait till you see one get in an ant hill and get up from a dust bath in that penguin walk/run while trying to pick the ants off. That will scare you to death. Looks like their back is broke, but still trying to walk.

Matt

4. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    LOL ok thanks. I was hoping she was going to start laying soon. [​IMG]

5. kittykitty

kittykitty New Egg

Nov 7, 2010
    chickens are strange sometimes......

6. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    Mine love to lay in chicken sized holes in the ground. It looks like they are nesting but mine arent. I assume this is normal chicken behavior but I have only had chickens for less than a year.

7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Ya same here so i have alot of question topics LOL.

8. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Ummmm. Yeah they love to dig holes, pretty much everywhere in the back yard, and seldom use the same hole twice. [​IMG]

9. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    yup - mine roll onto their sides and stick their legs out and extend the top wing - looks like they're dead - then they fluff their feathers, get up and walk away... really bizarre but they look like they enjoy it - usually this is done in a dirt/sandy area in the sun.

10. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I have them make dirt nests a lot.
    now they have moved on to heavy excavation. they are working on a moat around their run. It rained yesterday, and the moat filled up a little.. I had some very dirty (and happy) construction chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by