Is this normal?

mommystayshome

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 13, 2008
My day old white Pekin seems to be having trouble walking. she walks fine for a while and then she starts to fall down and get clumsy. Is this normal. I have never had duck b4 I'm only used to chicks. thank for the help.

Yes, it's normal. My pekins didn't have great walking ability until they were at least a week.
wink.png

Our baby pekins just seem to be a bit more clumsy & top heavy compared to baby chicks. Ours did that as well. I was told to make sure NOT to feed them Medicated starter feed of any kind, but to feed them NON-Medicated game starter feed that has the niacin in it, which helps strengthen their fast growing legs. Ours are a little over 2 wks old and one takes off to walk/run keeping really close to the ground before it sits down again. It's sooooo funny!
lol.png

I had the hardest time with pekins raising them and leg problems, walking etc. They seem to need a lot of niacin, and thanks to people here I learned that fast. Make sure your ducklings get it, any duck needs niacin, but heavier breeds like pekins seem to require it. Brewers yeast or the kind you buy at the drugstore (NOT the flush free type that won't work) will work, you can just break the caps and put it in the water.

Back
Top Bottom