Is this normal?

Ok so everyone seems to be getting along better now, thanks for the help. I seem to have a new issue now though, ever since putting them outside they seem to be less people friendly. I mean they'll come around us and are very curious in what's going on but they will run away from you when trying to pick them up where as before they'd jump in your lap etc. is this normal??

My BO is also the aggressive one in my flock. My pullets are about a month apart in age, so when I combined them, there was a slight size difference. The little ones still defer to her, but fortunately, there has been no blood shed. I wouldn't say they are friends, but they have figured out how to co-exist. I have two waterers and feeders, and when I give treats, I spread them out so everyone can participate. They have been together for about a month now, and they are getting better every day.

My BO is the sweetest gal in my flock! ;)

Interested in seeing what happens when I put The Littles out in the next few days. Of course they are going in their own run, but...

I have a core group of 7 older hens ranging in age from 10 months to 3 years. I have 13 young pullets (and maybe a rooster) that I introduced very slowly to the old ladies. When I first introduced them, I just let them all run around in my yard together, but separated them at night - putting the babies back in their box. Then I put up a fence between the girls in the coop in the daytime so they could see each other, still letting them run around the yard together- still putting the young ones away at night. Finally, after about two weeks, I took the fence down and let them hash it out. The first night getting into the coop was tricky for the young ones, but they are amazingly fast and smarter than I gave them credit for. The older girls still show dominance, but the more they are together, the better they are. I think patience is key and remember, the noise they make might bother you more than it is bothering them. I totally agree with everyone who has said that you need to be concerned if you see anyone with blood....they are vicious little beasts and might really wreak havoc on the hurt one if left on its own. Good luck!

I got ROOSTER issues!!! My tetra tints (2) were hatched in march. They were raised with the meat birds who are now in the freezer. The flock and the littles free range in the yard all the time and have for months. The littles do their own thing and keep away from the big girls. I have seen the rooster go after them here and there but he just chases them away. I put them in the coop to see what was going to go down and the **** rooster was after them...not to mate either. I think he thinks they are intruders! yesterday I put just the hens and littles in the coop and he stalked the outside of the fence and tried to attack from the other side. The babies were all bent out of shape...did take some pecks from the big girls and there was blood above the one girls beak. We took them out. :( This is very stressful!!!!!! They have not started laying yet but should this month so maybe I should just wait until they lay? UGH! The rooster is actually nice to people, but I watched him chase off a squirrel which cracked me up. He doesn't mess with my cat who is outside a lot.

We have 4 hens, including a buff orp, RIR, some unknown black sexlink, and a golden comet (also a sex link, and please cut me some slack, we had no idea the health issues surrounding this hybrid). They just laid their first two eggs yesterday (um, pause for a HUGE YAY!), as they're about 16-17 weeks of age. With these breeds, the buff is by FAR the largest, and she WANTS to be the boss, even puts her head down and "hunts" the RIR, who is the smaller one, and the black hen, who's not so small anymore. Weird, I know, because Rhode Island reds are "known" to be bossy, and BO's are "known" to be docile, but our BO is a bossy beach and the RIR is the lowest hen on the totem pole. The Comet, however, is a first in EVERYTHING (we call her "Winner Winner"). She's the friendliest, she's the first out the door in the morning, she's the bravest, the first to sample new weeds we toss in, the first one in the dust bath when we introduced that, etc etc, and she is the top of the pecking order, even tho she is significantly smaller than the buff. One nice thing is that when the buff is getting really rowdy and chasing the other two (who always run, what a couple of chickens!
wink.png
), then Winner Winner gets up in her face and stops the chase and makes her back down. It's really funny, actually; they face off and finally the buff backs down. We've definitely heard some squawking, and there are always guilty faces when we look over after hearing the squawks, but we've not yet seen blood, so we let it go.

Now, if and when we see blood? The buff that is affectionately named "Nugget" may more resemble her namesake by dinnertime! Not really, but we do have a "cooling off" cage for her if necessary, that will fit inside the coop.

Hens naturally establish a "pecking order," just like the old adage goes, so a little bickering is normal. However, blood, while unfortunately normal, should not be tolerated, as they turn into absolute monsters at the sight of blood and can kill an injured bird if left to their own vices. Keep an eye out and make sure their behavior is within "safe" parameters, "bloodless," and they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom