Is this normal?

anniele27

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Illinois
Our dog buddy seems to love all of our birds and is so far very gentle with them but after bath time he tries to lick them? He never is with any of the flock unsupervised but we'd like him to be able to go in the yard with our runners.
He did this once with the runner as ducklings but we thought he was just thirsty and licking off the water but now he's doing it to the goslings? (I know this is the duck forum but the geese forum isn't as helpful or quick to reply)

I was able to get a video of it this time and it's just the oddest thing! Any opinions on what's going on would be lovely! I am worried that he's trying to eat them or something.

Just in case, keep them away from your dog. If you used scented soap like Dawn or something, he may have smelled it and thought that it was food. My dog has an odd fascination with our baby runners and we don't know if it has to do with mama instincts. He may have licked them like licking a baby puppy. This is more unlikely because he is a boy. I hope this helps!!!!

Just in case, keep them away from your dog. If you used scented soap like Dawn or something, he may have smelled it and thought that it was food. My dog has an odd fascination with our baby runners and we don't know if it has to do with mama instincts. He may have licked them like licking a baby puppy. This is more unlikely because he is a boy. I hope this helps!!!!

We don't use any soap but that is a very interesting take I never thought of! The runners are now almost full grown and when they are down with the older ducks and one snips at a runner buddy freaks out and herds the runners away! It seems he really does think that they're all his babies which is just odd because he's a boy! But for safety ill just keep monitoring how he acts With them. Usually he goes and lays down in the yard and the runners lay with him so it all seems fine but I don't want to take any chances incase his predator instincts suddenly kick in!

Back
Top Bottom