Is this normal?

jessicam128

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Both feet on 3 of my 4 hens look like this. They are 6 month old. Easter eggers and a wandotte. They have a roost that's 4 in wide and 18in high. Dirt floor run with straw in their coop.

Hard to tell from the pics but here is something to study up on.

We bought some cockerels from a guy who had too many in a cage. They never got out so they walked in their poop constantly. They developed Foot Pad Disease. It took a few days but our boys cleared up fine. Treatment was simple. We washed their feet in light salt water.

The other, I have no personal experience with, but look up bumblefoot. I hope it ain't that.

Best of luck. We'll pray for you and your babies.

I agree that is could be early footpad dermatitis, or early, early bumblefoot. Straw can hold in moisture, and pine shavings are a little better at keeping things dry when raked frequently. Soaking in epsom salts and keeping the coop and run dry and free of droppings would be my suggestion.

Thank you chikkenfriend. I am hoping it's not bumble foot too! I think I could have caught something early.. I am going to soak their feet in Epsom salt bath for a few days and lower the roost just in case. I am a little concerned that it could be the dirt run. I clean it and add straw but I wonder with the rain if there is just a lot of bacteria from rain that soaked into the dirt.

Thank you chikkenfriend. I am hoping it's not bumble foot too! I think I could have caught something early.. I am going to soak their feet in Epsom salt bath for a few days and lower the roost just in case. I am a little concerned that it could be the dirt run. I clean it and add straw but I wonder with the rain if there is just a lot of bacteria from rain that soaked into the dirt.

If it is rainy and bad, you might look into diatomaceous earth. We use it in our NOT flower garden. (Destroyed because it is now the favorite chicken bath)

It helps with mites and other pests. Won't harm chickens. Might look that up, too.

But yes, our boys cleared up nicely with the salt foot baths. I held them up while DW washed their feet. And a special bonus. The treatment created a bond between us. Our boys are very loving.

All the best to ya!

Back
Top Bottom