Is this NORMAL ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hogdogs87, Feb 11, 2015.

1. hogdogs87

hogdogs87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Went to check the chickens before dark and noticed one of my hens..very young bird around 6 months old was all ruffled up and kind of waddling around. I sat and watched her until finally an egg came out. It wasn't the normal egg. Is it was very soft and broke on the way out. Then she immediately started acting normal. Should i be concerned or is this normal for young birds?

2. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    This is normal for young birds.

3. hogdogs87

hogdogs87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Even the soft egg breaking on the way out? Everything i read said things about laying soft eggs but not being broken before they come out. ???

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, if they are very weak membrane, they can break on the way out...and they can act very weird when one's coming down the pike.

As long as it's not happening all the time(I had a pullet lay a half dozen softshells in her first month or so) there's nothing to worry about.

Just keep an eye on her and maybe check her butt feathers to make sure there's no gunk gathering on them that she can't get cleaned off by herself.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I've noticed as my hens get older, the first egg they lay after coming out of a molt is often a jelly egg.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree.

Not unusual at all for the hormones to need to sort themselves out once they start laying.

It may take a bit of time, as in a week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by