is this OK? is it cute.

The squating down has nothing to do with getting ready to lay. All mine do this when I pat them and they are all over one year and have been laying for quite some time. Squatting is a sign of submission. They do it because they see you as the boss. nothing else. I would not let tem peck at you or your shoes, as it may be cute now, but it will turn into a very bad habit and one that is hard to break when they start to cause injury as they get older.

top chickens do not let anyone peck them, why should you? One of mine did jump at the feed bucket, and I swatted her with it. Not hard, but a bit aggressively. She does not now.

Pecking is NOT a sign of affection, it is a sign of top of the flock, if you are being pecked, you are down the list. Stop it at once. As the chickens get bigger it is not funny, and can be dangerous. Who wants to be watching all around them, while in the hen house. When you are the top chicken, then chickens are fun.

Mine come running to my feet, and when they squat, I put my hand on them, or even my foot for a bit. But they don't peck me, and if they did they get a small smack.

mk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom