Is this ok to do? Please advise!

chimneyrock

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
HI all, I have six keets approx. 4-5 weeks old. I have had them for almost 2 weeks. They have been a cage (made for them) inside my hen house/run. My DH thought it would be ok to let them out of the cage and roam about in the hen house/run. We did this yesterday and they looked like they were having fun, checking out the dirt and the roosts and shelf in there. They found the highest corner (with shelf) and pretty much stayed up there. We got them back down at dusk and locked them back into their cage. Then let the hen back in for the night. Today I opened the hatch to their cage (tried to coax them with some millet) slowly they began to fly out and on to the roost, then up to the corner.

My question is...is this a good idea? We would only do this when we were home (which is a lot). The hen house/run is pretty predator safe ( I never say never!) They will go back into their cage around dusk...so I can let the chicken back in (she free ranges in the yard)

Oh the other thing is....it seems like once they get up in the corner they don't come down to drink and eat....when they are in their cage they go through the food and water very quick!

Please let me know what you think...I would post pictures, but I'm still to new to BYC....

I would think that if they really get hungry/thirsty they would come down. Is there feed/water readily available in the coop, not just in their cage?

My thoughts are that they are staying up there while they get the lay of the land, so to speak and will start roaming again once they feel safe, but to keep an eye on them.

Thank you so much for answering...yes they can get to the food/water the door on their cage is open. They flew out of it today, yesterday we had to take them out. I was just with them to see if I could get them to come down for some grapes...no luck, I just left them the grapes (down below) I'm watching to see if they go get them w/out me in there??!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom