Is this ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Apr 3, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Is it ok to house 3 bantam d Uccles with standard size hens
    And another thing, do hens get depressed?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  2. kayoz

kayoz New Egg

Apr 3, 2008
    Australia
    I have no idea about the housing issue (in fact I'll be interested in the reply), but yes, I have read that chickens do get depressed. Also that they don't like being alone (that can spark a depression) and they prefer to have at least one other of the same breed as them.

3. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Yeah cause one of me 3 hens flew away [​IMG]

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I dont know about the depression thing, but I have Bantams in with my Standards. they get along very well.

5. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I have 2 bantam golden laced polish with my standard hens. Mind you they are the low hen on the pecking order.
    But when I first got all my chickens in my order I purchased 4 millies and they were all killed. I don't know if it was the breed or what.
    I think that they do get depressed. My girls havn't been their normal active selves since their roo died yesterday. They were all fine, let them out to free range and when the roo died they all went into the coop and never came out for the rest of the day.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think it works best if they are raised together. congrats, i did not know you had a chicken house now. I miss so much while i am working [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by