Is this ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cbrown86, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I got a new hen a couple of months ago. She laid 1 egg the day after I got her then didn't lay again for a month. Since she laid the second time she has been laying consistently. However some of her eggs have this weird black stuff in them when we crack them. What is it? Is the egg still ok to eat? She is not around any rooster or other hens. She eats layer feed and I let her out to free range every few days. She is about a yr old according to the lady I bought her from.

2. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Black stuff?! can you take a photo? I've never seen anything other than a tiny red speck besides the yolk, white, etc. does it smell like anything? Do they get in the garbage or into things other than pasture or their feed?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  3. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
  4. It is normal about the one egg then not laying, she was probably stressed. Ours have the wierd black stuff in it too, if we are thinking the same stuff, then just eat it, or if your picky(like me) pick it out with a fork.

5. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks! It is just a tiny little black thing. Almost looks like dirt somehow got inside the eggs. @Off-grid hen it doesn't look like the links. I would probably throw up if I saw the second thing in one of my eggs! @chloezoebob101 my husband made french toast with a couple of the eggs last night. I haven't died yet so I assume it's ok. He did pick out the black stuff too.

6. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Probably just a blood spot. A tiny blood vessel breaks inside the ovaduct when the egg is forming and you get them near or on the yolk. Some of my Marans have a tendency towards them. Sometimes it's red and sometimes it appears as a little black dot. They are harmless. You can pick them out if it bothers you. I don't...I just give that egg to my husband to eat! [​IMG]

Lisa

7. Good!![​IMG]

8. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Shoot my husband was the one who freaked out about it and made me put this post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by