Is this okay to use for flooring in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dandydoodle, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Someone told me that they used sand. I am thinking about getting some and putting it it the coop. Is sand safe for chickens and ducks?

2. Chickenlover97

Chickenlover97 New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    I have never used sand in a coop but I have heard it is good to use in runs so I guess its safe. (PS. It is very helpful in keeping flies away)

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I'm using pine shavings at the moment but planning on switching to sand. I like the idea of using a kitty litter scoop to sift it out instead of just stirring it up every day or two.

4. BigdaddySean

BigdaddySean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    I went and got 2500 lbs of river sand a couple weeks ago for $40, and I really like it. It makes it so easy to go in with a little kitty litter scooper and get up all the poop. Part of my run is just hardware cloth roof, and when the sand gets wet from rain, it dries out quickly also.
    I think I'm actually going to use it in the coop also. The girls have started digging in the run to get to the old grass that I covered up, and I take a rake and level it back out when they are done. They don't have to go looking for a particular place to dust, they can just do it anywhere. So far so good, I like it.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My farm is like living on the beach. Sand is great its easy on the chickens feet, great grit, good for bathing & its easy to clean.

6. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I think I am gonna do it but, wow I think it gonna be a big job. I imagine sand weighs a lot more then chips.

[​IMG]

7. Chickenlover97

Chickenlover97 New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    1000 pounds of sand weighs the same as 1000 pounds of chips.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

:rolleyes: I'm guessing the PP meant that a certain # of cubic feet of sand will weigh more than the same # of cubic feet of chips. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by