Is this old coop safe to use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GillespieTroop, Aug 7, 2018.

1. GillespieTroop

GillespieTroop In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2018
    I bought an old coop that is in good sturdy condition but was full of old poop. It also had mouse poop everywhere, or some kind of rodent. I scraped everything out, but I'm still not sure that's good enough. Do I need to disinfect the coop? If so, how? I have new young chicks to put in and I'm nervous about! Thank you!

2. SkyBlueEmu

SkyBlueEmu Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    I would disinfect the coop just to be on the safe side.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    How long has it been unused? The longer it has been the less likely there will be any problems. Still, I suggest spraying it down with a bleach water solution and air it out well (several days) before you put chickens in it. Do not breathe that bleach solution, spray it heavily to soak everything, and wait at least an hour before you rinse it if you do rinse it. Give it time to work.

4. JDN

JDN Songster

Feb 28, 2018
    Raleigh NC
    Buy a broom or mop from the dollar store, and make a bleach solution, mop the inside out and let it dry. should be good.

5. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Pics. I want to see the coop.

DobieLover likes this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Agreed, I'd bleach it. Don't put birds in it until the bleach scent has totally dissipated, and it is completely dry.

7. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    I would try to power wash it to get all loose material off first then apply the bleach solution to clean what you can't see let that soak in and rinse lightly make sure all bleach odor is gone before putting your birds in JMHO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: