Is this pasty butt??

Pics

Cmendo

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2022
New to having chicks, and when we went out this evening to put chicks up for the night I noticed one of my chicks had white stuff coming out from behind.. we gave her a warm bath a cleaned her up, but what are my next steps she seems a little uncomfortable. She is about 18 weeks old.

179C51A6-75BB-4912-86CA-FF48A473058F.png

The only time I have ever had to treat pasty butt was on very young - days old - chicks. A simple good washing treated the pasty butt and everything was good after that. I have never seen pasty butt on an 18 week old chicken. A good washing would not hurt, but I don't know if you have a case of pasty butt there, or not. Will be reading to learn more from others.

If that chicken has any other symptoms of concern, I would isolate her from the flock for a few days just in case. I have a small dog kennel that I use as a chicken hospital to isolate any chicken that may need special attention for a short time.

The only time I have ever had to treat pasty butt was on very young - days old - chicks. A simple good washing treated the pasty butt and everything was good after that. I have never seen pasty butt on an 18 week old chicken. A good washing would not hurt, but I don't know if you have a case of pasty butt there, or not. Will be reading to learn more from others.

If that chicken has any other symptoms of concern, I would isolate her from the flock for a few days just in case. I have a small dog kennel that I use as a chicken hospital to isolate any chicken that may need special attention for a short time.
Thank you, I have been trying to read up on it, but I have only seen things about smaller chicks like you mentioned..she is currently separated from others in my old dog crate and she in my garage.. I’m worried about her 😞

Yeah, 18 weeks seems way beyond what I would consider a case of pasty butt. Can you or a helper lift the feathers to expose the vent and take another picture so we can get a clearer idea of what's going on back there?

Also, is this a laying bird? Do you know when she last laid an egg and if it was normal? How's her behavior, is she eating, drinking, pooping normally? Does she appear depressed or in pain? Is her tail up or down? What are you feeding, including treats? Can we get a picture of her poop?

Feel her crop at night and again in morning before she has access to food or water. Describe how it feels in the morning. Full or flat (empty)? Doughy, spongy, soft, like a water balloon, lumpy, etc?

That is not pasty butt like I have ever seen it. It looks like urates. Is she exhibiting any other behavior that would make you think she's sick?

I'm wondering if it's vent gleet. Can you get pictures of her backside tomorrow?

Yeah, 18 weeks seems way beyond what I would consider a case of pasty butt. Can you or a helper lift the feathers to expose the vent and take anither picture so we can get a clearer idea of what's going on backk there?

Also, is this a laying bird? Do you know when she last laid an egg and if it was normal? How's her behavior, is she eating, drinking, pooping normally? Does she appear depressed or in pain? Is her tail up or down? What are you feeding, including treats? Can we get a pucture of her poop?

Feel her crop at night and again in morning before she has access to food or water. Describe how it feels in the morning. Full or flat (empty)? Doughy, spongy, soft, like a water balloon, lumpy, etc?
She hasn’t laid any eggs yet, her tail is down, when we gave her a warm bath she was very relaxed to the point where she didn’t even really try to get up. I will take some more pics in the morning, she pooped earlier in the crate and when she did she seemed to kind of squat almost like she was trying to push something out if that makes any sense.

Thank you, I have been trying to read up on it, but I have only seen things about smaller chicks like you mentioned..she is currently separated from others in my old dog crate and she in my garage.. I’m worried about her 😞

While you are waiting for any other responses, you might want to check out YouTube for some ideas. What I know about pasty butt is that it blocks the chick from passing out poo, which backs them up and can lead to death. In your case, the chicken seems to be passing whatever it is out of her system. That might be a good thing.

Hope she gets better.

Back
Top Bottom