Is this pasty butt??

Let's ask a couple of our most helpful Educators.
@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
Actually tonight after cleaning her up yesterday and putting some anti fungal cream on her last night and today she is starting to look much better!! We just changed her bedding and gave her fresh food and water and put more anti fungal on her so hopefully in a couple of day she can return to her coop..

Actually tonight after cleaning her up yesterday and putting some anti fungal cream on her last night and today she is starting to look much better!! We just changed her bedding and gave her fresh food and water and put more anti fungal on her so hopefully in a couple of day she can return to her coop..
Thank you all for your help and hopefully we are on the downhill slide.. this was bit scary for me as this is the first issue I have ran into with my chicks… I’m sure I will be back and needing more advise but you guys are the best I would be lost without this forum!!

When one of my hens has excessive excretion of urates out of her vent like that, it's usually associated with a blockage, so @Aunt Angus and you are on the right track as far as I can see, by giving calcium in case she's got a partial egg hung up. This is not uncommon for pullets approaching point of lay or laying their first eggs. They can have glitches that generally clear up after this first flub at it.

I would cover all the bases. Treat for obstruction with a Tums or better, a calcium citrate tablet containing D-3. One tablet per day, whole, directly in the beak. Citrate is easier to absorb.

Also treat for yeast with miconazole (Monistat) on the vent, and you can also give it to her orally. Just pry open her beak and squirt in a mouth full twice a day. In addition, give unflavored yogurt and garlic with her food to restore her good intestinal microbes.

It's not unusual for both issues, blockage and yeast, to be present at the same time, and they are often related.

I was able to grab more pics… I did put some ointment on her early so that be what some of the white stuff is on her now, but she was all cleaned up so I have a feeling it’s more of that white stuff that was on her before we cleaned her up, it was hard to get off.

I think she has urates.. thoughts on Allopurinol?
I wouldn't treat with Allopurinol.

She has a prolapse with leaking urates, not gout nor vent gleet. Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath may be helpful. Keep the exposed tissue moist with ointment, honey or oil. See if you can push the exposed tissue back in. It may still come back out depending on how much swelling there is. If it won't stay, then make sure it's covered with your ointment of choice.
I would still give her Calcium to help with retention.

Are you seeing her pass any stool at all?

1653365425516.jpeg

She has a prolapse with leaking urates, not gout nor vent gleet. Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath may be helpful. Keep the exposed tissue moist with ointment, honey or oil. See if you can push the exposed tissue back in. It may still come back out depending on how much swelling there is. If it won't stay, then make sure it's covered with your ointment of choice.

View attachment 3121246
My internet is funky. I can see this pic in the reply, but it doesn't show up for me in the thread. But, yes, that is prolapse.

View attachment 3121246
Yes she is passing stool it looks so much better today honestly, well this be a continuous problem with her? I don’t want to hurt her 😳 how does this happen and will it get better if I keep putting ointment on it?

Yes she is passing stool it looks so much better today honestly, well this be a continuous problem with her? I don’t want to hurt her 😳 how does this happen and will it get better if I keep putting ointment on it?
Also when I put ointment back there the vent Im guessing moves like pulsates almost like a ocean wave 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom