Is this possible?: Ivermectin drops placed on vent to control worms

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I'm never too old to learn but someone said they put drops of Ivermectin under the chicken's vent to worm them. I can see if you were treating for lice but if the worms are inside, I consider that impossible. However I read you can put the Ivermectin on their neck to control worms, so maybe it is possible.
Just wanting some other opinions.

Ivermectin can be given orally, or topically depending on the kind used. It is not approved for poultry, but is sometimes used off-label. Eggs would need to be tossed for at least 10 days after using. The pour-on type is put on the back if the neck over the spine where it is absorbed. The dosage of pour-on 5mg per ml is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight given once and again in 10-14 days.

Many of some experienced BYC members have reported that ivermectin may have lost effectiveness treating worms, due to past overuse for mites. I have no idea if that is true or not. One would have to get a fecal float before and after to prove that I suppose. Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are 2 very good and safe wormers for chickens.

Actually ivermectin is a good wormer for many species, but doesn't kill tapeworms, giardia, or coccidia. And it's not approved for any use in poultry in the USA.
Mary
Ivermectin can be given orally, or topically depending on the kind used. It is not approved for poultry, but is sometimes used off-label. Eggs would need to be tossed for at least 10 days after using. The pour-on type is put on the back if the neck over the spine where it is absorbed. The dosage of pour-on 5mg per ml is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight given once and again in 10-14 days.

Many of some experienced BYC members have reported that ivermectin may have lost effectiveness treating worms, due to past overuse for mites. I have no idea if that is true or not. One would have to get a fecal float before and after to prove that I suppose. Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are 2 very good and safe wormers for chickens.
I also read to place it on the neck...so the 2 drops on the vent would actually be ineffective, since the dosage is not even close. I hate to correct people but want the birds to get proper treatment.

We used to use it here for the chickens, but stopped years ago, because I'd much rather used approved products with no egg withdrawal time at all. So, permethrin for mites or lice, and fenbendazole for most intestinal parasites. Haven't had issues with tapeworms here. Once we treated with Corid for coccidia, also an approved product.
We sell some eggs, and want to be on the good side of legal issues.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom