Is this possible small egg from 8 1/2 week old pullet

Gorman Farm

Songster
Nov 16, 2015
Yesterday I put the 3 chicks that were 8 1/2 weeks old in with the hens. All went smoothly. Then this morning I went to feed and found two full size eggs in the nesting box and this little one on the floor of coop. Is it possible that one of the young pullets laid this?
It is very small, and my hens all lay in the nesting boxes. I was so stunned, never saw an egg this small it is the size of like a robins egg. BTW until yesterday the chicks were on grower crumble and did not have access to layer pellets.

That's likely a wind egg from one of the hens. It probably has no yolk, just albumen.
Being so small, she may not have felt it coming on.
There's no way an 8 1/2 week old pullet has the plumbing advanced enough to kick out an egg.

That's likely a wind egg from one of the hens. It probably has no yolk, just albumen.
Being so small, she may not have felt it coming on.
There's no way an 8 1/2 week old pullet has the plumbing advanced enough to kick out an egg.
Ditto Dat^^

Do you have a blue layer?
How old are your 'hens'?

Also 8 week old pullets are probably better off not eating layer feed.
All your birds can eat grower if you provide oysters shells in a separate container all the time.

My other hens range between 10 months to 3 years old.
The pullets are Americanas x Easter Eggers. Yes I have several EE hens laying.
They all lay green eggs, I can tell the difference in the shade of each. I also have
2 mix breed hens that lay brown eggs. I only have 6 laying hens so I can differentiate
their eggs and habits. This is a first though with the tiny egg.
As far as feed, there are three feeding dishes. The largest one now has grower
crumbles, and 2 that are a mix of cracked corn, layer and grower. My girls get
either dried meal worms and greens or my special omelet with some ground egg shell,
quinoa, scrambled egg and oyster shell daily.
I love the quinoa because it is loaded with protein and the birds love it too.

Could be one of your blue/green layers had a glitch.....it happens....tiny egg and it didn't get coated with brown so appears blue.

Back
Top Bottom