Is this ready for quail eggs? (diy aquarium bator)

Mike bird nerd

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
bator 2.jpeg
bator.jpeg

Hey so i just made this mini incubator to hopefully be able to hatch a couple baby
quail and would like to know if i seem to be missing anything. if its good/ok i'll explain the prosess.

yes i will be turning 4 times a day and it IS a still air incubator, the bulb is incandescent i think( i found it on a desk lamp that always seems to heat up)

You may want to add a second thermometer/humidity gauge. I ignored my incubator's built-in, and got a Govee which has held up well. I still pulled it twice to check it, using 2 other thermometers, one of which I checked using the ice method.

I found it also important to keep it running empty for a couple days, just to get a feel for any bugs it might have.

I'm sure others have more detailed advice!

Whats the temperature reading under the lightbulb? I would recommend some glass aquarium thermometers and a hygrometer of some kind and some experimentation with water before adding any eggs. Then you will know if it's ready.
I checked it is 37 degrees (C) and around 50% humidity

I don't know much about making your own incubator but if the humidity level and temperature is where is is supposed to be it should be okay. It's always good to just give it a go and see how the eggs turn out and whether they hatch or not? I just have one question about how you are going to turn them? I would assume that having to open the incubator 4 times a day every day might affect their hatching. Incubating quail eggs are not much different from chicken eggs as I had incubated them both at the same time before and most of them hatched fine. Give it a try anyway and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom