Is this REALLY a gold laced Wyandotte Pullet?

sbtgal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
Austin
OK, so this is SUPPOSED to be a 4-5 week old Gold Laced Wyandotte pullet. In the first picture you can see the feathers at the base of her neck are rather pointy.

106072_img_1123.jpg

In the second picture you can see her breast is pretty much straight red, no lacing.

106072_img_1127.jpg

Also, I didn't get a shot of it, but she has no tail feathers to speak of. I have read that pullets usually get their tail feathers before cockerels. My RIR has plenty of tail feathers already! Also, other pictures I've seen of GLW at this age had reddish heads, this one pretty much black. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Pretty girl - IMO, she's still in that awkward "dinosaur" stage!
smile.png
It'll be a few more weeks until some "better" feathers grow in... she'll look more like a GLW. In the meantime, they all could look like anything.

My GLW hit 10 weeks last week, and her "real" feathers were STILL just starting to come in. Hope that help! Just give her time...

- Kim

Definitely no Wyandotte. She's got a single comb and improper color. She's either a mutt or a Quail colored Game hen of some kind.

It's hard to tell at this age, with the coloring....Remember, chicks colors can totally change as they grow. But I think I see a single comb there, and it should be a rose comb.

Oh, I just thought of something else too. Her legs should be yellow. I think she could have something else mixed in with her GLW genetics.

But she is just darling!

Last edited:
DANG! I didn't think about looking at the legs and comb!
roll.png
WOW, this is far more complicated than figuring out dog breeds....

Back
Top Bottom