Is this really a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Backyard chicks, May 26, 2012.

1. Backyard chicks

Backyard chicks Hatching

Jan 22, 2012
    Recently I have been slightly concerned that one of my EE hens may not be a hen after all. She's about nine months old and has yet to start laying. All my other hens who are her same age, started laying around four to five months. She has a crossed-beak so I thought maybe that's why she wasn't laying, but I do give her special food to make sure she's eating enough. Recently I have began to notice the beginnings of spurs. They're still small but bigger than any of my other hens. She also seems to have green earlobes. I have some pictures, so if you guys could help me figure it out that would be great!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    At nine months old, that's a girl, IMO. And girls can get spurs too =). Not sure why she's not laying, but sometimes EE's can start later than others.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    cross breaks are slow for everything, mine took that long to crow and he is 4 to 5 yrs old and has sprus of a 1 to 2 yr old. as for her spurs I have hens with them.
    [​IMG]

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Easter Egger pullet.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Songster

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Pullet (at 9 months she would have hackle and saddle feathers, also she's got pullet coloring). Give her up to 12 months to start laying, some are just slower than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: