Is this roo headed for the stewpot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3nglishteacher, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 3nglishteacher

3nglishteacher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    My first flock. 10 mo. old Americaunas, 22 hens, 2 roos. Everyone free ranges over 14 acres and we haven't lost anyone to predators -- mostly b/c of this roo, I think. But lately, he has been much more aggressive to one of my dogs, the smaller one. He will actually stalk her thru the woods when we're walking and surprise attack her! Last weekend, he flew at my 7 y/o niece and got 2 good pecks in b4 I stopped him. It was the first time a small person had interacted with them since they were bathtub size. I know I should harvest him and just be done with it -- certainly before his spurs become deadly sized. Right? He's just doin' what he's supposed to, but I need to make the right decision to protect my smaller family members too. Right? Awww, he's just so dang purty! Everyone just gang up on me please and tell me he needs to be stewed!

Thanks,
    Karen

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well it is up to you. I'd personally take him out since it's not safe for your kids. Had you not had little ones in danger of the meanie, he would be good hen defence, but there are many roos in this world who can play nice and be protector at the same time.

Time for freezer camp!

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Sigh.Soup.[​IMG]
    I would hate to do it too, but since you have children around its probably the best thing.
    OR re-home him someplace without children?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by