Is this rooster good for baking?

Skatedude53

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Oceanside, California
i have a 19/20 week rooster that I was planning on baking. I've been doing research and people say its tough...he just started crowing and it's the one in my profile pic..please tell me how to cook or if its gonna be tough.thanks

Ps. He's not dead yet. Not doin it tell later

Last edited:
what breed is he being that he is 20 weeks old he shouldnt be tough probibly wont get much meet from him he will make good chicken and noodles

Boil/simmer him until the meat is falling off the bones. Then make soup, chicken salad, tacos, or anything that calls for cooked chicken. You can also bake him, just keep covered, add some water (don't let bottom of pot get dry) and bake low and slow.
droolin.gif
Great........now I'm hungry.......walks to coop.....considers older hen........

Most dual purpose roosters are taken between 16 and 24 weeks depending on the breed. I would just rest him two or three days in salt water before freezing or cooking or after thawing. He won't be like store bought chicken what ever you do. If putting in the oven, make sure you use a cooking method that will keep him moist. Baste a lot, use a cooking bag, cover skin with bacon and/or inject with butter or marinade. Should be a good supper!

Alot of people mistake firm meat for tough meat. I try to butcher mine by 18 weeks, but in reality they usually don't all get done till much much later. I almost always roast mine. Like said in the other posts, roast low 200-225, and keep moist. I never let my roaster get dry. Plan on it taking much longer than the 30min per pound, more like an hour per pound, or longer. Always very very good taste, not tons of breast meat, but great legs and thighs.

If you let the rigor pass, he'll be super tasty, albeit skinny in the white meat. The 20wk Black Java roosters I rested for 3 days, they really needed another day or day and a half. So don't be surprised if it takes a very long while for rigor to pass.

And thanks for the delicious recipe options from other posters - I just ate a lovely walleye dinner, but now I'm hungry for chicken! Going to go check freezer contents and pull something for tomorrow night's supper! Yummy!

Boil/simmer him until the meat is falling off the bones. Then make soup, chicken salad, tacos, or anything that calls for cooked chicken. You can also bake him, just keep covered, add some water (don't let bottom of pot get dry) and bake low and slow.
droolin.gif
Great........now I'm hungry.......walks to coop.....considers older hen........
yuckyuck.gif

Alot of people mistake firm meat for tough meat. I try to butcher mine by 18 weeks, but in reality they usually don't all get done till much much later. I almost always roast mine. Like said in the other posts, roast low 200-225, and keep moist. I never let my roaster get dry. Plan on it taking much longer than the 30min per pound, more like an hour per pound, or longer. Always very very good taste, not tons of breast meat, but great legs and thighs.
I second Azriels opinion. In fact, we just cooked a younger bird in this way last night, just because it turns out so danged good!!! Old hens are my favorite.

Lydia starts by browning them in a little oil in the roaster that she is going to cook them in. Then she adds some whole garlic cloves, some chopped onion and some diced celery. She adds perhaps 1/2 to 1/4 cup of homemade chicken stock (Not enough to touch the chicken), sticks some garlic in the body cavity and sets the bird on a rack in the roaster. She covers the top with foil AND the lid, forming a very tight seal, and cooks it @ 200 degrees for hours. When it's done, she strains the pan juices and cooks them down until they are almost syrup. MAN ALIVE that's good sauce!!!

I have become such a fan of cooking with low heat! It tenderizes tough cuts and keeps things moist.

Quote:
Id add in some sprigs of rosemary and thyme also in the cavity but thats just me. Rest of it sounds excellent. Very cool idea of using both foil and the lid. Always learning something on here.

Back
Top Bottom