Is this safe for my ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckymama2, Feb 23, 2016.

1. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright.. DE is absolutely fine but if you are looking for proven results then you would want to deworm with something like ivermectin or panacur. You can use a cattle or sheep drench with ivermectin and give orally.

I would suggest using ivermectin orally or topically in the future to get rid of mites and worms in the future.

Ducks only take a load of mites when they are unwell. It's a good warning sign.

I wouldn't take a duck to a vet to be wormed.

In the future, I would look for the many signs of worms, offer squash seeds seasonally that act as a natural wormed and improve their environment. Ivermectin works, panacur is easier to dose.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Wazine is better than nothing. But, it will only kill round worms. What wormer did your vet use?

3. duckymama2

duckymama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Looks like panacur according to the bill. I did buy some apple cidar vinager today as well. I did not tube feed at all today and only once yesterday because of my work schedule. She slept in the coop last night. She is just way to light. I hope she pulls through. Thanks for all the comments. I'll try the dewormer on the rest of the flock and see how Olive does.

4. apricotvalleywf

Try this, direct from David Holderread.

Get a syringe without needle tip. Get a small dish and add honey. Add a small amount of warm water, as little as possible to get the honey warm and viscous.

Draw 5 CC (5mls) of the honey and hinge open your ducks bill, by pinching at the opening on both sides of the bill with your thumb and index fingers and place the syringe onto the tongue. Press the tongue down and slide the syringe to the back of the throat, slowly push the honey out of the syringe.

This will give your duck some extra energy that it is missing. This treatment has helped saved some of our ducks in the past. Also, you can get some layer pellets or crumbs, add water into a medium size syringe and create a slurry and force feed in a similar way.

This is the best advice we can give to get calories into your duck.

5. apricotvalleywf

You should be able to pickup Safeguard for a horse for around $10 and easily do your whole flock and more. Dosing is usually around the size of a pea, but check the veterinarian recommendations first..

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you know that a pea size blob of Safeguard or Panacur paste has only 25 mg of fenbendazole? One "pea size" blob = 1/4 cc (ml) of Safeguard or Panacur liquid.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Call your vet and ask how much Panacur you should give your other birds. Ask them "how many mg per kg", then let me know and I'll tell you how much to give. Panacur is prescription fenbendazole, but Safguard is not, so go buy liquid Safeguard for goats, it's the *exact* same thing as Panacur, both are 10% fenbendazole, which means that each have 100 mg of fenbendazole per 1 ml.

Read this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...mergency-and-supportive-care-updated-1-3-2016

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's not water soluble, so best to give it orally.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What antibiotics did they put her on?

-Kathy

10. duckymama2

duckymama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida

They put her on fluconazole 100mg, panacur, and metronidazole 250mg. My husband bought wazine so I have that on hand. Should I return that and purchase safeguard? I put Apple cidar vinager in their water tonight. Thanks for your help Kathy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by