Is This Safe For The Chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mommy2Blaze, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Mommy2Blaze

Mommy2Blaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    My son Blaze is allergic to ants. Like anaphylactic reaction, carry an epi pen and rush to the er allergic. We have to put stuff on our yard to keep them under control. We live in GA and ants are everywhere and we try to at least keep an acre zone on each side of the house as ant free as possible so he can run and play like a normal kid. It is almost time to put the stuff out and now our chickens are free ranging so I have to wonder about their safety also. We use OrthoMax BugBGone in the big red bag and we super saturate the ground. So my question is when we put it out do we need to keep the chickens in the run and for how long?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know for sure but we don't put ANYTHING out that could be potentially toxic to our chickens.

I wonder - do chickens eat ants? That would be the best of all worlds for you!

3. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Water it in with a sprinkler or rain. It should say on the bag that it is safe for pets and children after it is watered in. Chickens should fall into one of those categories.

4. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Quote:My chickens like the black ants. The little red ants will get eaten now and then if there isn't too many around (just when I need them to eat them the most!) I know my chickens don't put a dent in the ants in my yard.

5. Mommy2Blaze

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    I will look on the bags when we pick them up. I just thought someone might know off the top of their head. [​IMG] Also, our chickens do eat ants but a flock of 100 would be hard pressed to eat all the ants around here. We live on 11 acres and our neighbors on each side have almost 20 acres each. There is no way we can get rid of all the ants around and they are all kinds, fire ants, pharoah ants, acrobat ants, sugar ants and Lord knows how many others. Life in the South...ain't it sweet lol. So I should put the stuff down and keep them in for a few days to be on the safe side after we water it in?

6. chickenfinatic14

chickenfinatic14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    lincoln
    I would keep the chickens in the run for around 4 days and just look to see if you can still see the ant stuff. When the grass was being fertilized I kept my chickens off it for a week.

7. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    You should be good after you water it in. Maybe do it in the evening or before a good rain.

8. Mommy2Blaze

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    Thank you so much you guys. Never even thought about it before but I can't let anything happen to my other babies!!

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I too have an anaphylactic reaction to ant bites. Fortunately, the ones we have here in CA don't typically bite. But I keep an epi-pen handy while gardening or hiking.

My chickens do eat ants. And I've found that DE is a great way to control them. I don't think we'll ever get rid of them. But we keep them under control with the DE and chickens.

10. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    That stuff dries on leaves, and chickens will eat grasses and seeds. I wouldn't spray where the chickens are at. Can you use the organic stuff? Might be safer for the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by