Is this safe?

SLChicks

Chirping
May 22, 2017
Bethel Park, PA
we built this little play yard for our 3 chicks who are 4-5 weeks old last night. I was so happy because I figured it would be perfect for the in between phase since they hate being in their brooder box and won't be in their coop until next week. We ordered the coop online and are waiting for its arrival. They love it but I'm worried about pests like rats. I know we have rats in my neighborhood and we have an exterminator coming out tomorrow since they chewed out internet chord. The plan was for them to hang in this during the day and sleep in their brooder at night. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2321.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I would add hardware cloth to the chicken wire, a rat or raccoon won't have an issue with ripping through that chicken wire. Also, probably should put wire on the bottom as well, so that they don't dig under and get the birds.

not sure where you live, but here is my answer. short answer no its not safe.

am seeing a few issues.

first off those holes are way to big, a weasel should easily get in, maybe even a mink could get through that size of whole, both will kill just for fun.

next that's chicken wire right? if it is then there is a rule of thumb, chicken wire only keeps chickens in. almost any predator can rip through that like butter. a raccoons (am thinking mostly of) can and will rip that up pretty fast and bad. dogs and coyotes/foxes also have no issue. bob cats/lynx (depending where you live) also have no issue getting in.

i would suggest hardware cloth with electrical fencing, to keep predators back. also to know they can tunnel under that like nothing.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Looks like 2" chicken wire?
Rats easily could get thru that.

Would probably protect against hawks.

Anything larger won't need to chew thru it, tho they could,
they'll just flip the whole thing over and play pick up chicks.
Unless it's staked down and you didn't mention it.
How do you get them in and out....I don't see a door'?

I think it's fine for a play yard while you are there to
supervise. I would not leave them alone though, day or night. But it's nice for them to get outside on the grass. My chicks are wondering if brooder life is all there is too!
It has been too chilly at night yet to put them out in their coop and run. Such a strange spring we are having up here in PA.

we built this little play yard for our 3 chicks who are 4-5 weeks old last night. I was so happy because I figured it would be perfect for the in between phase since they hate being in their brooder box and won't be in their coop until next week. We ordered the coop online and are waiting for its arrival. They love it but I'm worried about pests like rats. I know we have rats in my neighborhood and we have an exterminator coming out tomorrow since they chewed out internet chord. The plan was for them to hang in this during the day and sleep in their brooder at night. Thoughts?
Just be outside with them when they play in it, put them inside when your inside or going out somewhere. Don't leave them out there tho

My thoughts also, mine aren't even a week old yet. Would be good if I was outside with the chicks and my over zealous dogs were in the house. Pepper pup would be in there in a minute to play.

Back
Top Bottom