Is this safe?

Agsgranik

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
San Antonio, TX
We just brought home two new NH Reds to eventually integrate with the two we have left from our original flock of five. Are they safe like this for tonight?

Also, how long do we need to keep them separated and what are we watching for?

Attachments

• 9BC21A2D-802B-44FF-B123-F46A80ACBB20.jpeg
    9BC21A2D-802B-44FF-B123-F46A80ACBB20.jpeg
    749.7 KB · Views: 24
  • F90E51ED-4489-4D96-A96B-05D96DBA88F2.jpeg
    F90E51ED-4489-4D96-A96B-05D96DBA88F2.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 14
You could put the birds in the small kennels then collapse the crate, put it in the run and reassemble.. If you were keeping them separated for biosecurity they are too close anyway.
Might as well put the crate in the run for the safety of the birds.
That’s a good idea. But if I do that you’re saying I’ve lost my shot at biosecurity. Is that a big deal do you think?

I was thinking I would leave them in the small kennels for the night, but if I move the crate into the run, should I let them out?

2 weeks is a good time for them to get used to one another. If you just got them you should keep them separated for at least 4 weeks. Away from each other so they aren't breathing the same air. I wouldn't risk that set - up. One night is enough, let alone 30 minutes or even less is enough for a predator attack.

That’s a good idea. But if I do that you’re saying I’ve lost my shot at biosecurity. Is that a big deal do you think?

I was thinking I would leave them in the small kennels for the night, but if I move the crate into the run, should I let them out?
It just looks to me to be too close for biosecurity, but yes leave them in the crate for a few days to get used to each other.

2 weeks is a good time for them to get used to one another. If you just got them you should keep them separated for at least 4 weeks. Away from each other so they aren't breathing the same air. I wouldn't risk that set - up. One night is enough, let alone 30 minutes or even less is enough for a predator attack.
So, assuming I move the crate away from the run (how far?), are they ok in that small space for a month? Can they sleep in the small kennels for that time? During the four weeks what am I watching for?

That crate is not predator proof. Example, Raccoons can reach in and grab.
Biosecurity-keep birds at opposite ends of property, can't see smell touch other flock-completely away for 30 days.
If that's not doable-and/or your flock has already checked out the newcomers through the fence-you need to move crate into run and keep birds separate for 2-3 weeks. See but don't touch-let them get comfortable with each other before you turn new ones loose.

That crate is not predator proof. Example, Raccoons can reach in and grab.
Biosecurity-keep birds at opposite ends of property, can't see smell touch other flock-completely away for 30 days.
If that's not doable-and/or your flock has already checked out the newcomers through the fence-you need to move crate into run and keep birds separate for 2-3 weeks. See but don't touch-let them get comfortable with each other before you turn new ones loose.
One of the hens already checked out the newcomers. Rookie mistake. So I will move the crate into the run tomorrow. They are safe tonight I think, as we locked them into the small kennels for the night.
What can I use for sleeping accommodations in the crate?

Back
Top Bottom