Is this safe??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rubberduckies, Aug 16, 2013.

1. rubberduckies

rubberduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    My girls have recently started laying and so far I've been finding eggs in the nest boxes. A couple of times I've found an egg on the other side of the house (and one in the nest box) in the middle of the day. Yesterday, in the middle of the day, I found an egg in the bottom of their pool. I had missed a day of cleaning and refilling it so the egg COULD have been there for up to 48 hours. I'm wondering if it's still safe to eat. I usually store the eggs in the refrigerator unwashed. I put that egg with the others but I'm worried that with it being in the water the protective coating was washed off and it was sitting in the bottom with the poop. So... To eat or not to eat?? Also, as they get older, will they (the two that sometimes lay during the day) start laying in the morning with the other?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd toss the egg, most of my ducks lay in the morning before 9:00 so most likely yours will get into a routine.

3. rubberduckies

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    Hmm. I hate to just throw it away. Do u think it would be safe to cook and then feed back to the ducks? If not, I WILL throw it away. I would just prefer not to waste it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Only thing I can think of if it's laid in poo water any length of time bacteria will most likely have gotten inside.

5. rubberduckies

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    Ok. That's what I was afraid of. But I didn't know how likely it was for the bacteria to get in. I'll just throw it away. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by