Is this Sapphire Gem a hen or Roo

Snowwing

Chirping
Jun 18, 2020
Dacula, Georgia
B212C797-9006-41F0-A3C8-9FFAB2752976.jpeg

These chicks are about a month old and the one on the right has a suspiciously large comb. Sapphire Gems are supposed to be sex-linked right?
This is the same chicken as a baby for reference.
08A14D93-95DB-4A43-96C5-2BF1CAB7108E.jpeg
We got these guys from a TSC store and we know they aren’t the most reliable. This chick might be 2nd gen? What are your thoughts on this one? Hen or Roo?

Did they have white spots on the backs of their heads as chicks?

Looks like a pullet. I can't see the area where a spot would be in that photo.

View attachment 2763522
These chicks are about a month old and the one on the right has a suspiciously large comb. Sapphire Gems are supposed to be sex-linked right?
View attachment 2763523 We got these guys from a TSC store and we know they aren’t the most reliable. This chick might be 2nd gen? What are your thoughts on this one? Hen or Roo?
Chick on right, most likely cockerel. Comb give it away, I have two the same age, mine don't have combs that pinkish red.

But....
no-please-continue-on-your-merry-little-rant-ill-be-waiting-right-here-with-a-well-crafted-and...jpg

View attachment 2763522
View attachment 2763523 We got these guys from a TSC store and we know they aren’t the most reliable. This chick might be 2nd gen? What are your thoughts on this one? Hen or Roo?
Plus it has the face of a little cocky!

Sapphire Gems are supposed to be sex-linked right?
Yes, they are supposed to be.

If that is a Sapphire Gem, then it is a female. A male would have white barring on the feathers.

We got these guys from a TSC store and we know they aren’t the most reliable.
If TSC mixed up breeds & labels, you might not have a Sapphire Gem at all. Most other blue chickens are not color-sexable. I would probably guess male from that comb, but I'm not positive-- females of some breeds develop their combs much earlier than females of some other breeds, so I would wait at least a few weeks longer and see how it develops.

Back
Top Bottom