Is this scaly leg mites? (warning, lots of foot photos)

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
I was looking through chicken photos on my phone and noticed some of my chickens have scaly legs. Is it possible to identify which ones have scaly leg mites, from these photos?

#1: 1.JPG
#2: 2.JPG
#3: 3.JPG
#4: 4.JPG
#5: 6.JPG

(Some of these photos are very old. I will treat the whole flock with ivermectin as soon I can get it. Mainly I want to know how to spot scaly leg mites so that I can treat it ASAP in the future).

#5 is questionable. Could just be rough scales. Judging from the spurs, he's a rooster. Roosters are always digging and scratching around in everything looking for bugs or treats for the ladies. The kinda rough scales could be from all that scratching around.
When you see scales that are clearly lifted with debris under them, that's the time to address scaly leg mites. Personally, I wouldnt treat the legs.
If you decide to treat anyway, skip the Ivermectin, it has a long withdrawal period. Use Nu-Stock for scaly leg mites.

Following this thread! I've seen a few questionable birds at auction, but luckily never had to deal with scaly leg mites. Your birds don't look mite-ridden like those auction birds, so I hope they're well!

What kind of preventative measures are you taking? I'm just making sure things are regularly cleaned, and we use VetRX every other week on the birds and around the coop. I'm looking forward to expanding our medicine cabinet, and I hope you gain some clarity on your birds! Looking forward to hearing about your results!

#5 is questionable. Could just be rough scales. Judging from the spurs, he's a rooster. Roosters are always digging and scratching around in everything looking for bugs or treats for the ladies. The kinda rough scales could be from all that scratching around.
When you see scales that are clearly lifted with debris under them, that's the time to address scaly leg mites. Personally, I wouldnt treat the legs.
If you decide to treat anyway, skip the Ivermectin, it has a long withdrawal period. Use Nu-Stock for scaly leg mites.
#5 looks pretty bad to me! I can treat with pine tar but I thought that I have to treat the whole flock at the same time or it won't work. Ivermectin seems easier than putting pine tar on 30+ chickens and turkeys.

Do #3 and #4 look normal? A neighbor told me asils get scaly leg more easily than other breeds, and that's what those are.

What kind of preventative measures are you taking? I'm just making sure things are regularly cleaned, and we use VetRX every other week on the birds and around the coop. I'm looking forward to expanding our medicine cabinet, and I hope you gain some clarity on your birds! Looking forward to hearing about your results!
I don't take any preventative measures :oops:we had a wet winter and my chicken yard got pretty gross. I treated chicken #5 for a bad case of lice back in January, using permethrin. He seems to have more parasite problems more than anyone else.

#5 looks pretty bad to me! I can treat with pine tar but I thought that I have to treat the whole flock at the same time or it won't work. Ivermectin seems easier than putting pine tar on 30+ chickens and turkeys.

Do #3 and #4 look normal? A neighbor told me asils get scaly leg more easily than other breeds, and that's what those are.
You DO NOT have to treat birds with pine tar that do not have scaly leg mites.
You can put a LIGHT COAT of pine tar or Nu-Stock on roosts to prevent the mites from crawling from one bird to another on roosts.

There are some areas in the country that poultry mites are showing resistance to Ivermectin, including worms. Stick with Permethrin when treating for lice/mites. Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer for worming birds.

Back
Top Bottom