Is This Scaly Leg Mites?

Ah Padawan,
You seem to know more about chickens than you originally let on!

If you have sulfadene I know you have visited a vet previously or have access to a vet! And chicken themed VetRap!!!

What happened to the slivers or claw we saw protruding?

My only tips are, if you found no pus, once you dig around, be careful to leave and not dig around more, you'll cause infection. I'd get to the vet and hit that thing hard.

Also, watch a you tube video about wrapping chicken feet. You need to wrap around their toes leaving their toes exposed or it will cause a slew of other issues. Once you've done it five times or so you'll be a pro.

I've also found that as long as your coop/run is not full of fecal mud that the vetrap keeps the wound very clean and she could be returned to the coop/run if she has friends. Plan on changing the bandage every 48 hours.

Ah Padawan,

If you have sulfadene I know you have visited a vet previously or have access to a vet! And chicken themed VetRap!!!

My only tips are, if you found no pus, once you dig around, be careful to leave and not dig around more, you'll cause infection. I'd get to the vet and hit that thing hard.

Also, watch a you tube video about wrapping chicken feet. You need to wrap around their toes leaving their toes exposed or it will cause a slew of other issues. Once you've done it five times or so you'll be a pro.

I've also found that as long as your coop/run is not full of fecal mud that the vetrap keeps the wound very clean and she could be returned to the coop/run if she has friends. Plan on changing the bandage every 48 hours.
Oh yeah! Our girl Frances had terrible bumblefoot this summer and the vet gave us the silver sulfadene and the vetwrap lol

The protrusions were solid and fleshy; I used a surgical knife to cut them off (my cousin is a nurse so we have random medical supplies at home) and they were obv vascular bc there was a good bit of bleeding...

Yeah I need to work on my wrapping. I was so focused on trying to keep her weird fifth toe from breaking I didn't think about the other ones!

If it needs to be wrapped again tomorrow I promise I'll do a better job and post the results! Lol

So was this exploratory surgery, then?

I'm going to be the conservative clod here and suggest that cutting into a wound of any kind should come after a few days of epsom salt soaks and drawing salve applications, for the sake of observation in response to non-invasive treatment and preparing the area for a more aggressive approach.

Just something for anyone to consider before grabbing a scalpel, even if you have experience.

So was this exploratory surgery, then?

I'm going to be the conservative clod here and suggest that cutting into a wound of any kind should come after a few days of epsom salt soaks and drawing salve applications, for the sake of observation in response to non-invasive treatment and preparing the area for a more aggressive approach.

Just something for anyone to consider before grabbing a scalpel, even if you have experience.

I've been meaning to grab ichthammol ointment and keep forgetting it exists whenever I go to the pharmacy lol

Would that work for chickens?

I've been meaning to grab ichthammol ointment and keep forgetting it exists whenever I go to the pharmacy lol

Would that work for chickens?
I'm not sure what that is, but maybe someone else can chime in and let you know?

You could also use raw honey. I used Manuka honey to treat my rooster's extensive wounds from a coyote attack. I also used it on his foot when I discovered an injury that may have been bumble foot, but could also have been related to the attack.

Honey is a powerful healer.

So how's your girl doing today? Were you able to get a vet's opinion? I thought @Birdinhand's comment was interesting and would love to know what's causing this wound.

She's irritated about being inside lol. We unwrapped her foot and checked it; there was just a bit of scabbing where we cut off the protrusions but otherwise no problems. We wrapped it back up with some rolled gauze and finished it off w the vetwrap again. I was able to get the gauze between her toes, but even folded in half it overwhelmed her tiny toes! I forgot to get a photo will take one when I get home!

We're thinking about keeping her indoors for another day or so just to let it heal a bit more and then let her back out.

Ah Padawan,

Back
Top Bottom