Is this scaly leg mites?

My chickens were upset with me too but forgot pretty quick. I found little black mites on cockerel so coup got cleaned and sprayed and each of my 12 birds got sprayed and for good measure I put Vaseline in their feet!! Now to do it again at the end of the week. I often ask them- do you realize all the work I do for you? Do you appreciate it?? LOL

They seemed to have forgiven me this morning. I offered extra treats! :weeI don't think they understand at all! If only they knew :rolleyes:

Pretty ladies! :love

I know molting can be very taxing, even when it isn't heavy. It takes a lot of energy and is why they don't lay during molt. Come to find out... it's one of the ways nature helps to control parasites! Feeding extra protein during molt can help them recover faster and makes a HUGE difference in my experience... feathers are made of 90% protein and it's amino acids (animal source).

Soft shelled eggs are very often a hiccup of gals coming onto or exiting lay and their system working its' kinks out. A hen will sacrifice her own calcium from her body even if she doesn't have access to plenty and softees can happen even with plenty of access to calcium. It's possible the leghorn had an egg or two that needed to be released but she would be laying regularly enough to think they were hers if it is happening very often, unless she is returning to lay already.

Since scaly leg mites are microscopic they could be on others but not as bad. The ones originally posted... that is a long term growth of them. But all birds have different immune systems and may not be equally effected. I do see some striations and hollowness (barbless) look to some of those feathers on the Isa's, indicating some parasitic action... but since you already got a treatment, you should be good.

Ah, that's the hard part... The scales won't automatically look better and neither will the feathers.

Some people do bath soaks to soften the scales and scrub with a toothbrush to help remove the old lifted ones and reveal fresh scales underneath. It's interesting how they will flake away like old skin. The good news is that mites can't develop resistance to suffocation. :plbb

Only way I know to tell if the other is working is by checking with a flashlight after dark and part abdomen/vent feathers and look for crawlies running away. They are easier to see then. I do this at least monthly to a couple random birds... in backyard flocks it was shown the 10% of the birds carry 90% of the parasites... so it's important to check a variety. The mite I am battling live in the cracks of wood (stumps, roost, or such) and come out to feed on the birds so would not likely be seen on them during a day time check and maybe not even at night since my roost is clean... but I have seen the red buggers in my yard... and their evidence on my birds. :barnie So while I don't have a clear answer to offer as to how will you know it's working... You are off to a good start, do your best and look at the clues. Even though the individual feathers may still be damaged... seems like I can notice an overall condition improvement. :fl

Thank you for all your knowledge. I will keep a close eye on them, hopefully there are no more parasites! It's so hard to tell because they have been acting completely normal and I wouldn't noticed the mites unless their legs hadn't looked strange. Good luck with your mite troubles too :)

If its a really ingrained infestation, it can take a few months to destroy all the mites and allow the scales to heal. Be persistent and patient, and it should heal up nicely...

Back
Top Bottom