Is this scaly leg mites?

TX Chick Noob

DH says I'm obsessed with my chickens 😂
Premium Feather Member
A few of my girls seem to have some slightly raised scales on their legs. Are scaly mites the only thing that would cause this? I have 11 hens that are about 18 months old. Here is a pic of the one that looks the worst.

IMG_6392.jpeg

There are two others that have a few spots that barely look raised, and all the others look fine.

Of course if it is mites I will treat all of them.

Edited to add: The one I posted the picture of is also the only one I have ever had go broody. Which she has done at least 5 times this year and is again now. So I haven’t seen her legs as much as the others, but I inspected all of them when I saw this today.

Are scaly mites the only thing that would cause this?
Usually yes. Older chickens tend to have rougher looking scales and some keeping conditions, usually when mud has accumualted under the scales and hasn't been cleaned away the scales on the foot can look slightly raised.

At eighteen months old I would assume Scaly Leg Mite and treat accordingly.
I find plain vaseline works well and doesn't involve using chemicals. It is messy though and needs a few applications to smother the mites. The usual failing is the chickens legs don't get properly covered unless one takes some time and care when applying the vaseline.
Do bear in mind that any raised scales will not to return to normal position until the old scales a shed.
If you have chickens that are prone to this problem (it doesn't seem to bother some while others living in the same environment never seem to catch SLM) then applying Vaseline once a week or so as part of the keeping routine will help in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom