Is this she a he?

I haven't been able to get out to take another picture. I will tomorrow morning. This hen is actually the smallest of the bunch, but her comb and waddles are noticeably fuller than the other three hens. She looks exactly the same as the other birds except for those.

5 months? My guess she's a pullet who's close to POL.

This is Stan at 5 months.

This is his sister at 5 months:
I called her my manly hen.

I got 3 Buffs and one has a comb as large as that as well. Tried to get a picture so you could compare,waiting for the battery to charge. You would think with a comb that large,ok cockeral but the rest of her says pullet. You can see that the comb looks like it is starting to get wavy versus a cockeral's will stay rigid. Lack of crowing attempts and no real spur development just bumps. I had 4 White Rocks that turned out to be roosters and crowing started by 3 months, not full blown but I knew it wasn't good. Think the store got shipped the wrong box. Went 4 for 4. H

Last edited:
I would guess hen.

I have a big white mixed breed hen that I thought was going to be a rooster. She matured fast with a huge comb and wattles. She has a crabby temperament - bites, flogs the dogs, chases cats off. She is very loud and has an awful raspy half-hearted crow sound that I KNEW was the beginnings of a rooster crow...

Nope. She's a hen. Lays a huge brown egg every single day. 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

She will NOT nest or lay in a nest box. EVER. She will sit on a bare table top, or in an empty wheelbarrow and lay an egg. She has laid eggs right on the concrete barn floor. She doesn't cackle after laying either. Or if she does make noise, it's that awful raspy half-hearted crow sound.

She did get broody and carried sticks around and tried to make a nest, but she quit and moved onto other tasks. Like beating up cats again.

I got her from a woman who only locally buys production egg layer types - Leghorns, Production Reds, Star type chickens. And she is a mix thereof but I don't know exactly what.

Back
Top Bottom