Is this shed good for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gallery2000, Aug 6, 2007.

1. gallery2000

gallery2000 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2007
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    That steel could get awfuly hot in summer.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Those aluminum sheds collect moisture inside real easy. I would worry about heat too.

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    its good and big but I don't think it has good insulation and it may be boiling hot
    on hot days and freezeing cold on cold days.

I wouldn't recement a steel or plastic shed for a coop but that is a smart idea to buy that shed [​IMG]

5. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I went driving down the roads looking for old worn out barns/sheds,and went up to thier door and ask them if i tore it down if i could have the materials..

You can find some decent sheet tin on older barns,good enough wood for walls..I'd buy new wood for roof, ran me about 60 dollors for roof wood. Got me a Really nice 15x20x12 ft tall barn for about 60 dollors.Cant beat that!!

In the summertime you will cook your chickens alive in that shed!! Needs vents,on each side.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    How many chickens are you planning on? If its just a few, you can do a large dog house....you can buy kits online that are pretty inexpensive.

7. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    It could be made to work, if you put ventillation in the roof, some windows in, and insulate the whole thing real well. If you put it under a tree, it'd stop the sun from baking it in the summer.

You do realize you have to put a foundation under it?

8. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I have a metal shed and what I did was I insulated the roof and made a very large screen type door and put chicken doors in and it doesnt get to hot in there. In the winter I do get alot of moisture, but this is the first winter I will have with insulation so I will have to see how it goes. Good Luck!
    Take Care
    Cristina

9. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I thought of that too, But I came up with a better Idea.

10. gallery2000

gallery2000 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I will have 10 chickens and one rooster. I have trees.

I did not realize that you need a foundation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by