Is this Silkie a Rooster or Hen ?

Ok I just snapped some photos of my roosters and I could see the neck feathers by 4 months, comb by 3. Hope this helps!

What is the age now?

Body looks girly to me. But I couldn't really see the comb in that pic, it almost looks kind of big. And the back of the head feathers son't look like what I think of as girly either.

But I am just practicing to learn the subtle difference so don't take my word for it.
wink.png
And thanks for letting me play along!

I think I might have ended up with 3 girls! 2 of them started laying eggs around 6 months old with very little day light and no supplemental lighting!
jumpy.gif
I think 6 months is young for silkies to lay and many other pullets in their group aren't laying yet either. I feel lucky (today)!

Even the one that isn't laying doesn't have big combs like the boys in those pics up there.

The cockerels in my flock sure can tell which are girls.
hmm.png

Wish I saw that photo earlier, that's a hen. You would know if they are roosters by now, you would absolutely see the scrunched comb and from my experience the boys start acting more aggressive. They also walk upright and head out as if they are tall and proud whereas hens can't walk with their heads high and proud but for short bursts as best.

It's a learning experience daily, and I could be wrong, but my silkies don't look like yours so that's a good thing!

HEN! Lucky you, I have terrible luck picking out hens, still have my 3 silkie roosters and they are free range. They do perfectly fine, even in the snow today they did great. Good luck!

Just found out today my black silkie is a Roo. Jury is still out on the white. Any guesses? I don't see a lot of difference between the two so I'm thinking might also be a roo but hoping for a hen to mate the two

Back
Top Bottom