is this Silkie breeding quality

crittercaretech

out of the house and into the grow out coop
Mar 1, 2020
Hello,
I have raised naked necks for several years and have always had a few Silkies around as pets. I recently added some Silkies from a friend who could no longer keep his birds. They were his babies and part of his breeding program I have read the SOP but when you only have a few birds and limited knowledge of the breed it is hard to evaluate each one correctly. I would love opinions on this Splash Roo. Is he breeding quality if SOP, not pet quality was the breeding goal.

DSC_1480.JPG
DSC_1494.JPG

Hello,
I have raised naked necks for several years and have always had a few Silkies around as pets. I recently added some Silkies from a friend who could no longer keep his birds. They were his babies and part of his breeding program I have read the SOP but when you only have a few birds and limited knowledge of the breed it is hard to evaluate each one correctly. I would love opinions on this Splash Roo. Is he breeding quality if SOP, not pet quality was the breeding goal.

View attachment 2455947View attachment 2455948
This is a very complex question to be honest. Does he have all black skin? His comb looks up to standard. Do you know his parents and his genetics?

This is a very complex question to be honest. Does he have all black skin? His comb looks up to standard. Do you know his parents and his genetics?
I do not have that genetic information handy but I do know the gentleman who had them does and it would be very good info to get documented as well as on the hens I got from him. thank you for bringing that to my attention. he does have black skin. i guess his body shape was what i was asking about but didn't realize that till now.

I do not have that genetic information handy but I do know the gentleman who had them does and it would be very good info to get documented as well as on the hens I got from him. thank you for bringing that to my attention. he does have black skin. i guess his body shape was what i was asking about but didn't realize that till now.
Yes, it is very complicated business.

I also don't know if he is a splash. I think he may be a blue.
I was thinking the same, but sometimes pictures can mess up the way we see the color.
He does look blue to me too
Of course I am not questioning anyone here, I promise. I thought the same thing. Either way, I think he's so handsome

Back
Top Bottom