1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this Silver Mealy Gray... ish?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Naamahbengals, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    What I have seems to be a chicken that's white, with the flight and tail feathers speckled / almost laced with black. The closest thing I have found is the Silver Mealy Gray, but my chicks feathers aren't solid black, they are partial. The chick is a white Silkie x buff Orpington.

I have a pic, but as the pullet didn't make it (raccoon got her), it's an after-death shot, so I zoomed in to the... least messed up part of her feathers.

[​IMG]
    (Outer wing feathers)

[​IMG]
    (Inner flight feathers, some back feathers)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Here's new photos of the day-old chick that I currently have, that looks just like the one above did. I don't know if the photo of the chick would help or not but here it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: This looks like a "white pearl" but carrying some kind of gold. Oh, I see, the gold is coming from the BO.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Could you link a photo of a white pearl chicken? (They are white with darker wings and tail?)

I found a photo color chart for chickens, and the color that seemed right on was Silver Mealy Gray. But I couldn't find a single photo of a chicken with the same coloration pattern as the chicken in the color chart... every Silver Mealy Gray (or just Mealy Gray) I found also had speckles on their chest and back, which my bird does not (and nor does the color chart bird).

[​IMG]

5. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Ok, here's some updated photos of that chick that I posted. 4 weeks old now. She's still got some down, but most of her feathers are adult feathers. As you can she, she (I think she's a pullet, not a cockerel) is pure white on breast, back, legs, head, and neck, with black markings on her wings and tail.

The only other chickens I've seen with light patternless body and darker patterned wings/tail, have dark heads/hackles or patterned breast as well. And all the chickens I see that people are saying a color is 'bleeding through'... have it showing on their whole bodies, or at least their hackles. My girl is stark white except the dark patterning on her wings and tail. I haven't been able to find a single photo of a pattern like hers, on another chicken, anywhere.

[​IMG]
    Grayish tinge around the face is just her black flesh showing through the baby fuzz. Photo of skin below.

[​IMG]
    Showing more of her.

[​IMG]
    From the last chick like her (that didn't make it), I know that the gray markings will deepen to inky black as she gets older.

[​IMG]
    You can see that the rest of her body is pure white. Also showing her darker-than-normal flesh under the skin - from her Silkie father.

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas

7. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Thanks! Here are some updated photos. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't see the black marks on her wings and tail very well in these, but they got darker. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by