is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

This is actually kind of tuff. I free range my chickens and while they don't leave my property, my guineas do. We call the guinea flock, the 80th St Gangsta Crew because they range the entire mile section and everyone feeds them. They come back at night and roost in a couple trees on my property. When there's predation, I am the one who orders the new keets and raises them up to join the survivors and I feed them and put out treats for them too. But I would have a hard time claiming "ownership" of one of those birds if someone else took it and put it in their own yard or coop. As long as s/he was happy, I don't think I'd complain much because that would mean someone was giving the bird a good home and prolonging his life. I GUESS it's technically stealing because I did buy the keet, raise it up, feed it and care for it for about 6 months before I let it go out of the coop/run area but once I do that, I kind of mentally say, "Good bye" because they go totally wild after that point.

At first, I was all indignant because it was a CHICKEN and a hen at that, but really what's the difference? If my chickens ranged the whole mile section, I don't think I'd as attached as I am to them either. It would be nice as a courtesy if someone came over and said, "You know that old brown hen you have? She's been brooding some eggs over in so and so's fountain and I'm concerned that she's going to get eaten. I took her last night and put her in my coop to protect her from the neighborhood predators, so she can hatch out those chicks. Do you mind?" At that point, I think I'd pretty much say, "OOOOH that's where the lil heffah went too! No no, go ahead! You gonna keep the chicks and raise 'em up?" and then we'd probably talk shop about our silly birds.

Now, if someone came over all judgemental, I'd give 'em a different reception. In my years of raising horses I've learned that there are many right ways to do it and mine isn't the only ok way. Some folks don't come up to my standards and I don't come up to other folks standards and we all have healthy, happy, well trained and well bred horses. I think raising chickens is pretty similar. I like to let mine out during the day and I shut them in the coop at dark. They always have lots of good layer feed, oyster shell and fresh water sitting around for them. I do lose some to daytime predators, but that's why I don't name 'em and don't cuddle 'em (except the cochins, they're my pets), I got 'em for egg laying, not more. Sounds like the guy who owns these birds doesn't even really care about the eggs, maybe he just wants 'em for bug control.

It would be nice as a courtesy if someone came over and said, "You know that old brown hen you have? She's been brooding some eggs over in so and so's fountain and I'm concerned that she's going to get eaten. I took her last night and put her in my coop to protect her from the neighborhood predators, so she can hatch out those chicks. Do you mind?"
Part of me does think this may technically be none of your concern, since they are not your birds, and not on your property (IMHO the fact that your parents own the property doesn't rank, since they have paying tenants) but, I can see your interest is out of concern for the chicken so, I think dreamcatcherarabians approach above seems like a good one. Except, maybe I'd be inclined to approach the owner before I moved the broody into a coop & ask for permission, rather than after.

It is stealing to take the hen. But the owners are responsible for keeping their livestock on their property. I don't free range, but I do believe that many who do, care about their animals. These people may or may not. If they are renters and your parents are the landlords, you can have your parents call them and say that there was a complaint that the chickens need to stay on their property. You don't necessarily need to call the county. They renters may request that your parents fence the property, if that hasn't been done, but that's up to your parents. I wouldn't risk taking the hen if it were me, because if they ever found out, they could cause a scene and the fact that your parents are the landlords could even lead to debate about where you took the hen from. (Was it really off of the land they were renting? Or did you trespass to steal the chicken?) We know you didn't, but you can't trust people to be honest.

I have no idea what the law would be with regards to the chicks, but if it were me, I would leave them right alone. It just isn't worth the potential damage for a few chicks.

The neighbors whom i assume own the chickens (since the chickens are mostly in that acreage) are jot renting from my parents. The neighbors who have the broody in the front yard are renting from my parents.so they are the ones who CALLED me to come get her since they know i have chickens. They arent bothered by her they just dont want anypthing to happen to her.

These birds arent valuable or anything like that, just your basic barnyard oegb mixes.

I posted before, and leaned toward the "stealing" side. But the more I think about this, the more I am starting to waiver. When off-grid-hen mentioned the idea of it being a dog (as if it would be ridiculous to take in someone else's dog), that really got me thinking. If I had a neighbor who had a dog, but never kept it in their yard, and it was constantly in my yard, and it ate on my property, slept overnight daily on my property, I think I would assume that they no longer wanted the dog. I think I would count it as a "stray"; and who hasn't taken in a stray dog? What's more, what if it was a cat? People take in stray cats ALL the time! As a matter of fact, we had two cats that started out in the house, but they just got to be too much (I mean hyper and one was downright mean), so we let them out to be outdoor cats. Now if they were always at our neighbor's house, and they fed them (even unintentionally), and I knew my cats were never home and I never spent any time with them, and I did nothing about it, then I think that makes them fair game. If my neighbors took the cats and put them in their home or made them shelter, I don't think I would care. But more importantly, I think that even if I did care, I wouldn't have had the right to complain about it, or a leg to stand on legally. I think at that point anyone would call it a "stray" and see it as fair game. So why not the same for the chicken? She is a stray chicken at this point, as far as I am concerned. So, now I think I agree with whoever said (can't find the post just now) take it and be ready to pay if they complain/come looking for it. Not that I think they have the right to be paid for a chicken that they have neglected, but only in order to keep the peace so it doesn't end up blowing up into a big fight/issue since they are renters. What is your typical backyard chicken worth? $10? I would be willing to pay it for the hen and chicks, but chances are, you wouldn't have to.

I also agree with dreamcatcherarabians that it might be a good idea for you (or your parents) to mention it casually to them. Not in a judgmental manner, as though they are bad pet owners (and put them on the defensive); but more like it was just assumed that they didn't want it or care what happened to it, and this was the perfectly normal thing to do (and anyone would do it). I mean, come on, those baby chicks don't stand a chance once they hatch, and how can ya just stand by and watch it happen? Right?

Although, if she just disappeared one day, shouldn't they really just assume a predator got it? I doubt they would even come looking/asking about it. They have to be expecting to loose some with no protection whatsoever. So maybe I wouldn't say anything unless they asked (I wouldn't lie or be dishonest about it, that would be wrong; not to mention, it would imply that you were in the wrong, and just in case someone did see you or know you have it, it would not go well for you).

So, this is all just another point of view.... I am really anxious to see how this ends, thouogh. I just feel so bad for the chicks. I can not imagine having chicks loose outdoors from day 1. Mine are 5 weeks old now, and I wouldn't dare let them run around unattended, day or night, even now. Yikes! What a scary thought!!!

Last edited:
I say keep her and the chicks. If they really cared about her they would of come looking for her. I guess they don't care and didn't come looking for her if she has been

sitting on the eggs a week now. She can be killed anytime being out in the open, unprotected. If they don't even have a coop to keep them safe....or a fence to keep

them in their own yard then......oh well! Chickens are at the very bottom of the food chain....if they won't keep them safe....then they shouldn't have them! You

can give her/them a safe and happy place to live....then do it!

I think that if they really cared about the well being of their animals they would at least have coops set up for them. If they let them wonder and free range where ever they want, thats not being a responsible owner. They probably didnt even notice she has been gone. After all having no coop or somewhere to go she is exposed to all sorts of predators. Their loss is your gain. The babies might not be able to survive with no shelter or coop to sleep in :(

I am good friends with the renters and the they called me today to tell me a cat was IN the fountain with the eggs and mama was on the ground clucking at it. She shooed the cat away...she is a very savvy hen though. I know her babies will be ok. I just dont knoe if she is going to let us near her to get the babies out of the fountain once she hatches them. Cause it is like a one foot high lip and a 2"possum" foot drop to a concrete floor so we definitely need to be the ones to get those babies out when the time comes.

I decicded.not to take her. For me it was 2a reasons. 1. Biosecurity. I have a very closed dlock and lord knows what this hen has been exposed to or carries.
And #2the even though i think i can take her without remorse i also try to do unto othets as i would want them to do to me. And while i dont think i will ever allow my livestock to act like strays i also dont think the owner id intentionally mistreating them. I think its a cultural thing. I dont think the owner sees it as neglect. And since i am not woman enough to knock on bis door and ask for the chicken i shouldnt be sneaky and take it even tbiugh i "could" without repurcussion.

The neighbors whom i assume own the chickens (since the chickens are mostly in that acreage) are jot renting from my parents. The neighbors who have the broody in the front yard are renting from my parents.so they are the ones who CALLED me to come get her since they know i have chickens. They arent bothered by her they just dont want anypthing to happen to her.
These birds arent valuable or anything like that, just your basic barnyard oegb mixes.
I understand where your coming from, but it would still be stealing unless you got the owners of the chicken to agree to let you take the hen and let her have her chicks in your coop.

One question though, Did the renters even try and talk to the owners or did they call you first off? What you could do is mention to the renters that maybe they could talk to the owners and tell them that they are concerned for her safety, and see if they would let you keep her until she hatches out her babies since you have a secure coop and they don't apparently. Also I've read other posters saying that you want to keep the chicks? I don't recall reading where YOU said that is what you wanted but maybe I missed that part *

Short story about what happened here with one of my young pullets, She is a Leghorn/Cuckoo Maran cross, just a barnyard mix, she either got out of the coop or someone took her out but I searched up and down looking for her for days, I could here her sometimes clucking but couldn't ever find her, about 4 days later she shows back up at the coop begging to get in screaming loudly and half starved. Turns out that the neighbors about 3 doors down had taken her and was keeping her in the garage so they could get some eggs but she hadn't started laying yet . and apparently she got loose and came home, followed by the kids chasing her, who had told me the story. Said their Mom just wanted one for fresh eggs and could they go ahead and keep her, I would have thought about it if they hadn't stolen her in the first place and she came back half starved but their was no way they were getting one of the birds I told them I would sell them eggs though if they wanted fresh eggs that badly. Each of my Hens and Roosters are pet to me and she was sorely missed and I fretted everyday when she was gone.

I don't know about this broodys owners but I have read several stories about a chicken that came up missing and showed up back home followed by her little brood of chicks a few weeks later. So I don't think that nessarily means there bad owners (I know nothing about them) and the hen is doing what any full blown free ranger would do.

Please just do the right thing and ASK if you can take her home to your coop where she would be safe,

Another possibility of what could happen is that if you take her off the nest she's chosen and put her in a strange place ,1 it might break her broody spell and 2 your putting your own chickens at risk (health wise) if you put her in with them, or they may decide they don't like her or vise versa and somebody might get hurt And you don't want that I'm sure.

Again just do the right thing, Stealing is stealing no matter what the cercumstances are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom