IS THIS THE DOG TO GET--Pyrenean Shepherd ????

I have a Maremma Sheepdog and simply love him. He is almost the size of my Great Danes. I've had him since he was a pup and it took him a while to learn that the poultry are not play toys. He does fantastic with them now and even runs off my worst predators, ravens. He is very active both day and night. I love watching him "patrol". He'll do a complete circuit inside the fence and then position himself as high as he can overlooking the swamp. I know he has driven off a fox on several occasions and deterred a hawk from getting any of my birds. But, as someone pointed out, you either need a stout fence or a lot of acreage for these guys. Diesel, if given the chance, will happily "patrol" my neighbors' properties too.

Wow, I didn't know these things about Great Pyrenees either. Who would have figured that GPs don't guard poultry?

----------
wink.png
. Fortunately, your GPs don't know that either!

Quote:
Why does it have to be registered? Purebred doesn't have to be registered to still be a purebred. That could be next to impossible to find if you are adopting.

I don't need it registered but I don't want a mixed breed either.

Mine do most of their work at night. Most of the birds are safe in coops except my turkey and ducks. The dogs are doing the job I needed. I was trapping something probably 4 or more times a week before getting the dogs. Plus I had fox and bobcat stalking the ducks almost every night and lost a turkey hen to raccoons the one time the electric fence went out.

I've only trapped two animals since getting the dogs and have only seen a fox once. The bobcat comes to the fenceline and then goes back. (Neighbor sees the tracks). The male does watch the sky and will chase birds away.

So I'm very happy with the work they are doing. I have a small property, but good fencing. They have not tried to get out. I do have a few goats that the female has bonded to, but mostly they are protecting the property. It's taken time but they are starting to bond to the poultry. I often find the free-range birds sleeping in the dog houses with them or dust bathing next to them. Once when it was raining I found the female pyr, two roosters and three goats all in her dog house. The four turkey were just outside - no more room.

Depending on the dog it may take time for them to bond to poultry or they may never bond to them, but protect the area.

Last edited:
Quote:
My observation is that the chickens will take cues from the LGD concerning predators. They trust the LGD and her instincts, and will often seek security near her. For example, today when I went to feed the birds, the LGD and about 100 chickens came towards me. The LGD was leading the group out in front. When the dog stopped. all the chickens behind her stopped also.

In turn, the LGD will take notice if she hears certain sounds from the poultry.

Quote:
I've noticed that the dogs respond if the ducks make a certain sound. It usually means they see something and the ducks seem to notice more than the other birds.

My male howls if a lot of the chickens get going from a hen starting the egg song. It's kinda funny.

I'd love to have a Great Pyrenees and a rescue at that. But do you know, by the time you pay the fees around here, you'll end up paying as much or more than if you just got one from a reputable breeder in the first place. What I see most often is an adult that is advertised as "great for the family" with adoption fees around $250-$350. Yet I can get one off a working farm with papers for that, whereas most of the rescues are half breeds or no papers and no way to know if they can do their jobs. Ridiculous. No wonder more don't get placed.

Once I can actually afford one, I'll likely just look at ones on farms. I just wanted to comment on how silly I think those adoption fees can be.

I've heard great things about GP's. My vet insisted I get a Rat Terrier. So far so good. Not a single loss from foxes since he joined the family.

Quote:
Why does it have to be registered? Purebred doesn't have to be registered to still be a purebred. That could be next to impossible to find if you are adopting.

I don't need it registered but I don't want a mixed breed either.

Mixed breed as in what? I have two Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd mixes and they are both wonderful LGDs. I couldn't ask for more personable, loyal, dependable dogs that do the job they have been bred for, guarding livestock.

Back
Top Bottom