IS THIS THE DOG TO GET--Pyrenean Shepherd ????

This is so interesting! I didn't realize that Pyrs would not bond with poultry as well as with four legged livestock. I did know that they need a large area to roam, or they will consider nearby neighbors "their" territory as well.

However, if they are non aggressive with the fowl, won't they naturally deter visiting predators of all sorts any way, just to defend their territory?What kind of fencing would be required to keep a Great Pyr on a small acreage?

It is great to get input from experienced Pyr breeders...

LGD's aren't quite as territorial as many other breeds can be.

They are the result of thousands of years of selective breeding to bond to the ANIMALS, and not so much to a "location"

IF they are non agressive with birds, they offer the same protection as any other medium to large dog.

They require GOOD fences at least 4 ft high, and often that's not tall enough, depending on the dog.

Electric fences work best as long as you make sure they can't dig out under gates

People really don't understand that the TRUE LGD breeds are not like any other dogs you've dealt with before, even though some have used them successfully.

They don't make the best of pets, they prefer to be outdoors, and they shed long white hair by handfuls

They are "puppies" until they are 2 years old, but can weigh over 100 lbs before they turn 1 year old

They are WONDERFUL animals for their intended purpose, but not the best choice for an "all around" dog

Here is some good insight on them:

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

WorkingLGD forum on yahoo has a lot of people who can point you to breeders and rescues of LGD's. Someone there also recently put together a list of them by State. You might join the list and see if you can find what you need there. They are also an invaluable asset for new LGD owners, as these dogs are unlike any other breed in their behavior and thinking. It may prevent a bad experience from stepping in unprepared. I know they were a huge help in the success of my Maremmas. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom