Is this the right stuff?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momma's chickens, Oct 14, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I picked up a box of DE today for $3.99. I can't find where it specifically says food grade on it. It says for drying and dehydrating and has pics of flowers and vegetables on it. It says it is natural fossil shells finely ground. Is this the right product?

Thanks!

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Is there a phone # somewhere on the box that you can call? If it doesn't specifically say food grade, I'd be afraid to use it on the birds until I knew otherwise.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would assume that it is not food grade.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I would call first, like another person suggested. I know you wouldn't want to risk it and hurt your chickens.

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I agree with the others. Better to be safe than sorry especially if they may eat it.

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I can't find a phone number just a website; it does say it can be applied directly onto foliage. The company name is Growmore.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  7. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I found a phone number and they reassured me that it is definitely food grade although he sounds surprised I wanted to use it in the chicken coop. I am still nervous about sprinkling it out there.

8. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    I would assume that it is not good for them.

9. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    I agree better left to use on your plants to prevent bugs, then risk using it on the chickens. If it doesn't say food grade on it, it is not food grade and wouldn't be safe! Good Luck....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by