Is this the ring of death?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggieterpkatie, Nov 13, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Candled this egg this morning, it's day 8. Is this the ring of death? I'm not sure. The lower blotch on the second picture scares me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No I think you are good

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I don't like the look of it at all. But since it's only Day 8, I would check it again on Day 14, at which time you'll know for sure. Keep a close eye out for any "weeping" and smell it carefully every time you turn it.

Good luck with the hatch!

ETA, I am not an eggspert!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont like the look of it at all. I had one just like it and it did not develop anywhere at that point. However you can try to keep an eye out for that one in case it does but it is rather odd placement of all the blood vessels should be.

5. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks! I'll candle it again on day 14.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree it doesn't look good. Keep a close eye on it.

7. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    i did my first hatch back in august and i candled the eggs the ones i werent sure of I left that was 2 out of eight they eventully looked clear and I knew they were empty they never smelled or weeped. the others we candled at 7 or 8 days and we could see the blood vessals and stuff and were so excited! but when we candled them again in 4-5 days they just seams dark you really couldnt see anything like in the pictures. now these were brown eggs, so I think once the chicks grow and are taking up so much room you cant see much. well I was so disapointed I thought they were dead, but i left them alone till hatching time and we had 5 out of 8 hatch!!! I just want to share my experiance so I say leave it alone and recandle in 3-5 days and see what it looks like then good luck

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd leave it and recandle in a couple days, but it doesn't look good for that chick.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I had one that looked like that on Day 10...on Day 12 it was clear it needed to be tossed. Check it in a couple of days.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by