Is THIS the worlds largest coturnix quail egg evber laid?? ;)

Adding thistle seeds to the diet can make the eggs larger over time. If you grade the eggs you can determine double yolkers from the larger eggs.

Tammy, just found this thread after my quail laid some monster eggs! :)

I have a very similar sized egg to yours however the weights seem VERY different.

I'm in Scotland and more used to metric so maybe i'm converting the weight wrongly?

Can anyone correct me if they see any errors?

Your egg is 2.8 oz? which converts to 79.4 grams?

Large sized chicken eggs over here are classed as 63 - 73 g or 2.2 - 2.6 oz

The picture below shows some of my Japanese quail eggs .

an average sized 13g (0.46 oz) egg (left)

an egg I got on Saturday (Middle) and one I got on Sunday (right)

The two large eggs came out a breeding pen of 2 males and 7 females and have similar markings so quite possibly laid by the same bird.

Middle one weighs 21g (0.75 oz)

Big one on the right weighs 25g (0.88 oz) which is double the average size for my quail eggs and the biggest one I've ever had, in fact these are the biggest two i've ever had by quite some way!

Its 2 1/8" long (54mm) and 1 1/8 wide (29mm)

So yours is 1/8" shorter and 1/8" wider but over three times the weight?

I just gathered this quail egg tonight!!!

One of my very young hens (born in March 2019) has been laying 18-19g eggs and I bet since they all seem to get bigger over time hers will too. All of them lay pretty decent size eggs, it’s a mixed pen of colors from silver to red range and pearl along with others.

I incubated 2 of the first ones I got and both developed but one quit one hatched with a bit of help and he’s (or she) is about 7 days old now I can’t tell anymore which one it is but it was a bit larger than the others of course lol but it did hatch and the chick is normal! A little fuzzy yellow baby.

I can’t incubate right now so I’m saving the others and draining them. I’ve also had a marble looking egg lol and some very pretty colors from my coturnix. Love them!

One of my quail just laid an egg that's more than 3 inches long! Biggest I ever seen! Normally my quails' eggs are bigger than the one sold in grocery store but this one was huge! It's just slightly a bit smaller than a chicken egg! Have anyone gotten an egg that big?

Back
Top Bottom