Is this too early to move Cornish Cross to tractor?

JeffandLori

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
S. Florida
I have 34 Cornish Cross that are 4 1/2 weeks old. They are out growing the brooder, but I don’t know if I need to expand the brooder or move them to the tractor.

I can still put a lamp on them while in the tractor if necessary as it will be close enough to the house.

For the next week, overnight low is supposed to be mid 50s with a high of 79-80.

I’m leaning toward keeping them in the brooder on the porch.

What do you think?
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg

I have 34 Cornish Cross that are 4 1/2 weeks old. They are out growing the brooder, but I don’t know if I need to expand the brooder or move them to the tractor.

I can still put a lamp on them while in the tractor if necessary as it will be close enough to the house.

For the next week, overnight low is supposed to be mid 50s with a high of 79-80.

I’m leaning toward keeping them in the brooder on the porch.

What do you think?View attachment 3720326View attachment 3720328
Can the tractor provide reasonable protection from wind and rain? If yes, I would move them out there. Just make sure the ground isn't wet when you put them there.

It probably would be a good idea to provide a heat lamp for them in the tractor, at least at first.

The tractor looks like the attached and last time I covered it with a tarp that went to the ground on three sides at night.

Side note: do these still require chick grit or now that they are over 2lbs can I switch them to regular?View attachment 3720342
If they’re protected from the elements I think they’d be fine actually. I change my first comment ha and not sure about the grit.

The tractor looks like the attached and last time I covered it with a tarp that went to the ground on three sides at night.
With the tarp at night and for any nasty daytime weather (heavy wind or rain), I would expect them to be fine with a heat lamp in there, and pretty soon they won't need the heat lamp either (watch where they sleep: when they are sleeping away from the heat, they do not need it any more.)

Side note: do these still require chick grit or now that they are over 2lbs can I switch them to regular?
I do not know for sure. Maybe offer some of each and see what they choose.

We have silkies which develop slower than yours and I've had mine outside in those temps at about 2 months old provided they are protected from wind. We have a cozy coop radiant heater in a hutch they snuggle up in at night. Sometimes during the day they go in to warm up and come back out. They have a large pen covered on all sides but one. They are now 10 weeks old and have been outside for a couple of weeks. It's been in the 20Fs at night but they're warm. I did have to bring one in the house for a couple days over Christmas that seemed to be suffering a little but it's fine.

Attachments

• Betsy Christmas Eve.jpg
    Betsy Christmas Eve.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 1
Thanks all. I just checked the weather and it looks like there is a bunch of rain coming. So I'll wait a couple of days. I had just put all fresh bedding in yesterday morning. If you look at the top picture there is a partition with six ISA browns on the other side. I put together a second brooder from some scrap plywood and pulled them out and took down the partition. That gives the Cornish Cross almost 1 sqft/bird. So they don't look cramped now.

Looks like the determining factor now will be: "How soon do they poop up this last batch of bedding?"

I appreciate knowing that I don't have to wait until they are completely feathered out to move them. At this rate I think I'd need another six or eight bags of bedding just to get to butcher day on Feb 3.

Thanks all. I just checked the weather and it looks like there is a bunch of rain coming. So I'll wait a couple of days. I had just put all fresh bedding in yesterday morning. If you look at the top picture there is a partition with six ISA browns on the other side. I put together a second brooder from some scrap plywood and pulled them out and took down the partition. That gives the Cornish Cross almost 1 sqft/bird. So they don't look cramped now.

Looks like the determining factor now will be: "How soon do they poop up this last batch of bedding?"

I appreciate knowing that I don't have to wait until they are completely feathered out to move them. At this rate I think I'd need another six or eight bags of bedding just to get to butcher day on Feb 3.
I usually put mine out around 3-4 weeks in early spring, cold weather. They aren't usually fully feathered on their butts and heads - but also, some aren't fully feathered by the time I butcher at 5-6 weeks either. I raise mine in the garage, 20-25 chicks in 24 sq ft. Once they cover half their enclosure when sleeping in a pile, time to move them out. The garage is not much warmer than outside, so that helps get them used to the temperature. I don't put heaters outside. But yes, avoid the rain for sure, you don't want them getting wet or having wet feet - they can die easily that way by getting chilled. Also make sure they have a bit of a windbreak. By 4 wks I switch them to adult grit, but may combine grits for a while to be sure, just depends how big they are, and what they pick. Bedding was a nightmare though - I got really tired of changing it twice a day. Eventually I gave up and would change it before they slept at night so at least they weren't sleeping in poo. But yeah, way too much poop. Once I got them into 150 sq ft covered run, (basically a stationary tractor) on mulch, it was much better.

I usually put mine out around 3-4 weeks in early spring, cold weather. They aren't usually fully feathered on their butts and heads - but also, some aren't fully feathered by the time I butcher at 5-6 weeks either. I raise mine in the garage, 20-25 chicks in 24 sq ft. Once they cover half their enclosure when sleeping in a pile, time to move them out. The garage is not much warmer than outside, so that helps get them used to the temperature. I don't put heaters outside. But yes, avoid the rain for sure, you don't want them getting wet or having wet feet - they can die easily that way by getting chilled. Also make sure they have a bit of a windbreak. By 4 wks I switch them to adult grit, but may combine grits for a while to be sure, just depends how big they are, and what they pick. Bedding was a nightmare though - I got really tired of changing it twice a day. Eventually I gave up and would change it before they slept at night so at least they weren't sleeping in poo. But yeah, way too much poop. Once I got them into 150 sq ft covered run, (basically a stationary tractor) on mulch, it was much better.
Next time you do this, I'd love to hear you try using horse bedding pellets. I think you would see a huge improvement. We use those in our coop and do nothing for a year. No maintenance, no smell. The pellets absorb everything and dry out the poop.

Back
Top Bottom