Is this too much ventilation?

This isn't necessary and is a major fire hazard.
This is the morning after a night at -20F.
View attachment 2841434
The birds were fine.
Note all the high ventilation and the open pop door. There is a second pop door near the front of the coop and both stay open year round. I've never baffled the soffit openings. If they were lower, I might have to. I also have large roof overhangs.
Good to know. That looks an awfully clean roost area. Did you just clean or does it stay cleaner than usual that area?

2"x8' ventilation strip at the top
Looks larger than 2" high?
On the back of coop too?
Any roof overhangs?
Pics of outside of coop?

We also live in Chicago
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1632271809100.png

On the back of coop too?
Any roof overhangs?
Pics of outside of coop?

View attachment 2841849
Yep, it's 2" high as I measured today as I was building the nest box. I will have a 6" overhang on all sides, and the greenery you see in the picture it's actually the neighbor's garage, which outta help to block wind. Yep, I'm too close to my neighbors. Country land here we come...

On the back of coop too?
Any roof overhangs?
Pics of outside of coop?

View attachment 2841849
I know now why why you think it's bigger. Those studs aren't 2x4 but 2x3. Maybe that's where the confusion lies

Btw, I'm not really fond of where I currently live but that will be fixed shortly soon enough. I call it Shitcago, but I'm sure it won't be in the list of cities. 😀
It's not a list, you type it in...might want to use "!" for the "i".
Have never heard that one :gig I feel that way about all big cities.

Hello all!
In the process of building a 4'x8'x4' coop and have a long strip of 2"x8' ventilation strip at the top. Is this too much ventilation for 15 chickens? I know the coop is smaller for 15 but am trying to maximize by how the roost bars are located until we relocate out of state. I was thinking of just closing off the smaller triangle pieces and just leaving that long strip open. We also live in Chicago so I'm not sure if this is too much ventilation in relation to the cold winter here. Or would it work better if I just let the middle 2 joists open for winter, than open all 5 joist slots for maximum summer ventilation? Please help, flockView attachment 2841298
Mine is exactly like that and it is perfect. My tallest roost is about 1.5 feet below so they do not get a draft.

Back
Top Bottom