Is this true?

Quote:
Aye. And I refuse to play the role of Pollyanna.

Fluffy, you have unintentionally started a debate that no longer deals with keeping a rooster ia a box for most of the day. It has become a debate about how to state one's opinion in a form that will please everyone. Won't happen in any forum. We are all individuals. And if you ask a question of 50,000+ people you may well get that many opinions.

Don't worry hon, not your fault. It's one of those "veterans being chided by a new person for not being sweet enough" things.

Back to the topic, folks. Keeping a rooster in a box for the majority of the time will lead to the rooster's unhappiness and early demise, so no, not a good idea. Think about it. You have a good head on your shoulders.

My hen house is a "dark box" (albeit a very LARGE one.
smile.png
)
The chickens (and my rooster) go inside of their own accord every night. I don't let them out until I wake up in the morning. (by 9:00) Many mornings, before I have my shoes on, and am ready to head out to let the birds out to free range, I can hear my Roo crowing in the hen house. Darkness doesn't help him NOT to crow. It's also true that Roosters don't only crow in the mornings. lol They crow a lot, and they crow all day. Even if you only have one!
tongue.png
The only advantage to keeping my rooster contained until later in the morning, is that my closer neighbors can't hear him from their beds like they would if he were outside.

Keeping a rooster in a dark space during the day wouldn't be good for his health, I agree.
BUT
Delaying the time that he is outdoors crowing hasn't seemed to hurt my rooster's feelings at all. He's healthy, beautiful, and proud.
smile.png
I hope that helps you!

ETA my spelling and to add:
It would be impossible to keep your rooster quiet when you took it out of the darkness, because it would need to be kept in the light during the day in order to be healthy and well. Even IF you only kept it in the light for short amounts of time (which wouldn't be right, or good for the bird) I'd be willing to bet he'd be crowing.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Aye. And I refuse to play the role of Pollyanna.

Fluffy, you have unintentionally started a debate that no longer deals with keeping a rooster ia a box for most of the day. It has become a debate about how to state one's opinion in a form that will please everyone. Won't happen in any forum. We are all individuals. And if you ask a question of 50,000+ people you may well get that many opinions.

Don't worry hon, not your fault. It's one of those "veterans being chided by a new person for not being sweet enough" things.

Back to the topic, folks. Keeping a rooster in a box for the majority of the time will lead to the rooster's unhappiness and early demise, so no, not a good idea. Think about it. You have a good head on your shoulders.

I wasn't suggesting a tiny box. Just to keep the noise in. My other chick would be severely depressed if he left. But we might not have to worry anyhow, when I compared his comb to my hen's, turns out they're about the same.
smile.png
And i meant a big box. If he keeps crowing, I'll have to give them both up. And honestly, what am I supposed to do? Act like lots of people I know (not on here) and try to get the people to "please understand. These are thearpy animals. My mother is sick and my brother disabled."

Back
Top Bottom